Union Artillery

  • aot1952
    Message 1 of 66 , Apr 27, 2005
      Dear Group-
      I need some help.
      For sometime now I have been toying with a crack pot theory that one of
      the real deciding battlefield factors of the War in the West was the
      consistent superiority in numbers, quality and performance of the Union
      forces' field artillery. The most often recognized example of this
      theory is Mendenhall's concentration of artillery on January 2, 1863 at
      Murfreesboro ( Stone's River for you yanks).
      I was hoping some of you could provide me other examples of decisive (
      but under appreciated) actions by Federal artillery in the West.
      I have read Larry Daniel's book about the artillery of the CS Army of
      Tennessee and it really does not spend much time discussing the
      opposing long arm.
      I look forward to hearing any thoughts or examples this most
      knowledgeable group might come up with.
      Thanks in advance for the help-
      Regards-
      Wakefield
    • Donald Pontious
      Message 66 of 66 , May 3, 2005
        On 5/3/05, hank9174 <clarkc@...> wrote:

        > > Hmmm, that's strange, I always thought the term Napolean meant the
        > > style of gun, not it's caliber. I could have even bet that the 6#
        > > Napolean was also a common gun on the field.
        > >

        > The Napoleon style (stubby bronze tubes) did not scale well. A 12
        > pounder is an incredibly heavy load.
        >
        > There are 20-lb Parrotts, which are rifled, but no 20-lb Napoleons
        > which are smoothbores...
        >
        > HankC

        A Napoleon is a 12pdr, period, not a 6pdr or 20 pdr. The term "12pdr"
        refers to the weight of the solid shot that the smooth bore cannon
        used.