Re: Help On A Question

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23, 2005
      Shotgun, I assume you got far as the below link will take you, but you
      know what they say 'when we assume' so see below

      http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/regiments.htm

      CONFEDERATE GEORGIA TROOPS

      50th Regiment, Georgia Infantry

      50th Infantry Regiment was organized at Savannah, Georgia, during the
      spring of 1862. Its members were recruited in the counties of Ware,
      Coffee, Lowndes, Thomas, De Kalb, Clinch, Colquitt, Berrien, and
      Brooks. After serving in the District of Georgia, the 50th moved to
      Virginia and was assigned to General Drayton's, Semmes', Bryan's, and
      Simms' Brigade. It participated in the campaigns of the Army of
      Northern Virginia from Second Manassas to Gettysburg, then was ordered
      back to Georgia. However, the unit did not arrive in time to share in
      the Battle of Chickamauga. It was involved in the Knoxville operations
      and later the conflicts at The Wilderness, Spotsylvania, and Cold
      Harbor. The regiment fought with Early in the Shenandoah Valley and
      ended the war at Appomattox. There were 29 killed and 97 wounded at
      Sharpsburg and 17 killed and 153 wounded at Chancellorsville. It lost
      thirty percent of the 302 engaged at Gettysburg, had many disabled at
      Sayler's Creek, and surrendered with 1 captain, 2 lieutenants, 2
      surgeons, and 25 men. The field officers were Colonels William R.
      Manning and Peter McGlashan; Lieutenant Colonels William O. Fleming,
      Francis Kearse, and Pliny Sheffield; and Majors Duncan Curry, P.C.
      Pendleton, and John M. Spence.

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Weeks" <shotgun@c...> wrote:
      > Good Morning All,
      >
      > Well, I just returned from a little vacation and needless to say my
      mailbox is full. For the last day or so I have been trying to help an
      individual with his research on the 50th Georgia