undeserved spotlight and fame

  • Rick Moody
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2005
      Lieutenant Colonel Archer Anderson, assistant
      adjutant-general assigned to the conscript service in
      the State of Virginia outside of the city of Richmond
      said this after the war.

      "I have only time to say that for nine months the
      Confederate commander (referring to Lee) displayed
      every art by which genius and courage can make good
      the lack of numbers and resources.
      But the increasing misfortunes of the Confederate arms
      on other theatres of the war gradually cut off the
      supply of men and means. The Army of Northern
      Virginia ceased to be recruited, it ceased to be
      adequately fed. It lived for months on less than
      one-third rations. It was demoralised, not by the
      enemy in its front, but by the enemy in Georgia and
      the Carolinas." (referring to Sherman)

      General Joseph E. Johnston is quoted as saying:
      When I learned that Sherman's army was marching
      through the Salk swamps, making its own corduroy roads
      at the rate of a dozen miles a day, I made up my mind
      that there had been no such army in existence since
      the days of Julius Caesar.

      Sounds to me like Sherman had enough people in the
      confederacy giving him praise that he did not have to
      pat himself on the back at the expense of Thomas or
      anyone else.

      There were many in the north who wanted Lee and other
      confederate leaders hung for treason after the war.
      Grant used his popularity with the people to force
      President Johnson and others to abide by the "terms of
      surrender" and leave them alone.

      I can not see any "undeserved spotlight and fame" shed
      on Grant or Sherman. To the winner goes the spoils.

      Grant and Sherman were in many ways complete opposites
      yet together they were the leaders of an army that was
      unmatched in the world.

      Rick Moody
      r_moody@...

      "It is the duty of every good citizen to use all the opportunities which occur to him, for preserving documents relating to the history of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

      "A great many people in the world do not think as I do about these things. But I care nothing for that. The knowledge that I am right is sufficient for me." -- Mark Twain

      http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide