Taxes are what we pay for a civilized society

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15 10:14 AM
      That eminent civil warrior, Oliver Wendell Holmes, late of the 20th
      Massachusetts, wrote in 1904, "Taxes are what we pay for a civilized
      society."

      It has been pointed out that among the many reasons for Union success in the
      War was the Federal's ability to pay for the fighting. Among their many
      tools was the first imposition in 1862 of a Federal Income Tax. Not the
      first national income tax - England adopted one in 1898 to pay for the
      Napoleonic Wars - nor the first in America - several states had income taxes
      ante-bellum. But the Union not only imposed a tax, but developed the
      bureaucracy to collect the money.

      If, on this April 15th, you have some time left after hurriedly sending off
      your check :>), you might be interested in Joseph Thorndike, An Army of
      Officials: The Civil War Bureau of Internal Revenue at
      http://www.taxhistory.org/Articles/civilwar.htm

      And there is an illustration of the 1862 Federal Income Tax Return at
      http://www.taxhistory.org/thp/readings.nsf/cf7c9c870b600b9585256df80075b9dd/
      9134d0498e7c820085256e4400040844?OpenDocument

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street