Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Fremont on Paducah

  • Jfepperson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 121 , Apr 3, 2005
      In a message dated 4/3/2005 8:49:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, oneplez@... writes:
      > Since the manuscript pages exist in the LoC, in Grant's hand, I
      think not.

      Have you seen or examined these writings?
      =====
      Have I?  No, but various scholars have.
      McFeely reports that Grant dictated the last 13 pages of the last
      chapter.  So, we know that this part was not in Grant's hand.  After
      Grant's death Adam Badeau brought suite against the estate for
      payment of past services, for which they awarded him $10,000.  A
      healthy sum for those days.

      My question is since there were many rumors to this effect - why?
      =====
      There was some skepticism about Grant's ability to write a book.  With
      Badeau and Twain around, it is natural that their names as ghost
      writers would come up.
      Twain was in debt and promised Grant a 75% share of the Royalties.
      If Grant were to die without finishing the Memoirs Twain could be
      financially troubled since he had advanced Grant $10,000, twice
      Grant's annual Government pension.

      McFeely also claims that in March of 1885 Grant talked to Badeau
      about finishing the book if he died.
      ====
      Agreed.  But this doesn't mean that Badeau did write the book.

      JFE
    • CAMPAIGN62@AOL.COM
      Message 121 of 121 , Apr 14, 2005
        I found it. OR Vol 7 Pg 571 McCellan to Halleck and Buell " A deserter just
        in from the rebels, says that .... he heard officers say that Beauregaed was
        under orders to go to
        Kentucky with fifteen regiments from the Army of the Potomac.(Jan.29, 1862).

        Halleck replied on Jan 30. "Your telegraph regarding Beauregard is received.
        General Grant and Commodore Foote will be ordered to immediately advance, and
        to reduce and hold Fort Henry, on the Tennessee river.

        I remain, Sir, your most humble servant.