Re: Fremont on Paducah

  • oneplez
    Message 1 of 121 , Apr 2, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
      wrote:

      > I should also comment on excerpts from Fremont's article in B&L:
      >
      > He wrote: "August 25th an expedition was ordered under Colonel G.
      > Wagner [sic] with one regiment, accompanied by Commander John
      > Rodgers with two gun-boats, to destroy the enemy's fortifications
      > that were being constructed at Belmont." [The ORs indicate that it
      > left 8/27/61.]

      snips

      > > Charles de Arnaud I am getting ready to go to Paducah. Will
      start
      > at 6 1/2 o'clock" [PUSG 2:193] It fits the description of neither
      > telegram mentioned in the memoirs; there is nothing about "taking
      > steps to get off that night to be in advance of the enemy" nor
      about
      > doing so "unless I received further orders."
      >
      > This is the crux of the matter: Grant's Memoirs are unreliable.
      > They certainly are an insufficient foundation upon which to give
      him
      > credit for taking Paducah without orders.
      >
      > Joseph

      Could this give credence to the rumors that Badeau and Twain wrote
      most of the Memoirs?

      Don
    • CAMPAIGN62@AOL.COM
      Message 121 of 121 , Apr 14, 2005
        I found it. OR Vol 7 Pg 571 McCellan to Halleck and Buell " A deserter just
        in from the rebels, says that .... he heard officers say that Beauregaed was
        under orders to go to
        Kentucky with fifteen regiments from the Army of the Potomac.(Jan.29, 1862).

        Halleck replied on Jan 30. "Your telegraph regarding Beauregard is received.
        General Grant and Commodore Foote will be ordered to immediately advance, and
        to reduce and hold Fort Henry, on the Tennessee river.

        I remain, Sir, your most humble servant.