Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Orders to occupy Paducah

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 121 , Apr 1, 2005
      In a message dated 4/1/2005 7:38:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tmix@... writes:
      I lived in that part of Ky. for quite a while and can say that it had a
      high degree of CSA support in the region.
      Tom,
      Like you say, it did have a high degree of CSA support.  On the 8th of September when the 40th Illinois entered the town, the main hotel boldly flew the Stars and Bars (first National).  Col.  Steven Hicks confronted the owner and demanded that he take it down.  He refused, so Hicks himself removed it.
      The post was on continuous alert for the pickets were continuously harassed by prowling bands of citizens that were pro-Confederate.

      One of the problems of Paducah was disease and was rampant during the winter of 1861.  Although the Marine hospital was well supplied and the care given to those that were sick was excellent, many troops did not survive their illness's and were buried in a "soldier's burying ground"  near the town cemetery.  That cemetery still exists as does parts of the fort that was built.

      JEJ
    • CAMPAIGN62@AOL.COM
      Message 121 of 121 , Apr 14, 2005
        I found it. OR Vol 7 Pg 571 McCellan to Halleck and Buell " A deserter just
        in from the rebels, says that .... he heard officers say that Beauregaed was
        under orders to go to
        Kentucky with fifteen regiments from the Army of the Potomac.(Jan.29, 1862).

        Halleck replied on Jan 30. "Your telegraph regarding Beauregard is received.
        General Grant and Commodore Foote will be ordered to immediately advance, and
        to reduce and hold Fort Henry, on the Tennessee river.

        I remain, Sir, your most humble servant.