Re: Orders to occupy Paducah

  • James2044
    Message 1 of 121 , Apr 1, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "sruss1919" <Sruss2909@m...> wrote:

      > This "preemptive strike" prompted an already biased Kentucky
      > legislature to show its true colors. While both sides had clearly
      > violated Kentucky's declared neutrality, the legislature chose to
      > demand the Confederates remove their troops from the state - not the
      > Union. They asked Robert Anderson, whom Lincoln had waiting in
      > Cincinnati, into the state to lead Union troops. Governor Magoffin,
      > who wanted to demand both sides leave, was outvoted. From that
      > point on, Kentucky's neutrality was gone.

      Your point seems to be that the CSA was going to lose so they had
      everything to gain by invading a netural state. You seem to overlook
      the logist problems KY created for any invasion of TN and how it
      secured the border.

      How much of KY's request was prompted by the CSA violation of its'
      netruality and how much is "already biased" is an open one.

      James2044
    • CAMPAIGN62@AOL.COM
      Message 121 of 121 , Apr 14, 2005
        I found it. OR Vol 7 Pg 571 McCellan to Halleck and Buell " A deserter just
        in from the rebels, says that .... he heard officers say that Beauregaed was
        under orders to go to
        Kentucky with fifteen regiments from the Army of the Potomac.(Jan.29, 1862).

        Halleck replied on Jan 30. "Your telegraph regarding Beauregard is received.
        General Grant and Commodore Foote will be ordered to immediately advance, and
        to reduce and hold Fort Henry, on the Tennessee river.

        I remain, Sir, your most humble servant.