Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Orders to occupy Paducah

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 121 , Apr 1, 2005
      A little bit of trivia on Paducah
        -
      1.  Upon deploying troops in Paducah, who did Grant place in command of those troops.

      2.  Besides building defenses and repairing the Marine Hospital, troops built a fort.  What name was given to this fort.

      3,  How many powder magazines did the fort have?

      4. How many batteries were assigned to the fort.???

      5.  How many cannons did these batteries have.???

      Extra Bonus  describe the cannons and how many of each type.

      JEJ  who feels nasty tonight.

    • CAMPAIGN62@AOL.COM
      Message 121 of 121 , Apr 14, 2005
        I found it. OR Vol 7 Pg 571 McCellan to Halleck and Buell " A deserter just
        in from the rebels, says that .... he heard officers say that Beauregaed was
        under orders to go to
        Kentucky with fifteen regiments from the Army of the Potomac.(Jan.29, 1862).

        Halleck replied on Jan 30. "Your telegraph regarding Beauregard is received.
        General Grant and Commodore Foote will be ordered to immediately advance, and
        to reduce and hold Fort Henry, on the Tennessee river.

        I remain, Sir, your most humble servant.