Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Orders to occupy Paducah

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 121 , Apr 1, 2005
      In a message dated 4/1/2005 12:35:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, theme_music@... writes:
      <<In this letter I directed him to take possession of Paducah
      if he felt strong enough to do so; but if not, then to plant a
      battery opposite Paducah on the Illinois side to command the Ohio
      River and the mouth of the Tennessee.  On the evening of the day
      this letter was sent to General Grant, the officer who had been sent
      by me within the Confederate lines reached Cairo on his way to St.
      Louis to let me know the enemy was advancing on Paducah.  He judged
      it right to inform General Grant, uging him to do so, and in
      accordance his instructions of the 28th
      immediately moved on Paducah
      with and adequate force and two gun-boats.>>
        (bold emphasis mine  JEJ)

      From this post, Fremont did issue orders on the 5th to take Paducah, but it also appears he had orders dated the 28th of August that gave Grant the authority to move on Paducah.  Grant did so with the intelligence given to him by this unnamed officer that Fremont sent behind Confederate lines.  Music's post seems to nail the door shut in that Grant did have the authority given to him by Fremont to move on Paducah before receiving the message sent by Fremont on the 5th.

      JEJ

      .

    • CAMPAIGN62@AOL.COM
      Message 121 of 121 , Apr 14, 2005
        I found it. OR Vol 7 Pg 571 McCellan to Halleck and Buell " A deserter just
        in from the rebels, says that .... he heard officers say that Beauregaed was
        under orders to go to
        Kentucky with fifteen regiments from the Army of the Potomac.(Jan.29, 1862).

        Halleck replied on Jan 30. "Your telegraph regarding Beauregard is received.
        General Grant and Commodore Foote will be ordered to immediately advance, and
        to reduce and hold Fort Henry, on the Tennessee river.

        I remain, Sir, your most humble servant.