Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Orders to occupy Paducah

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 121 , Apr 1, 2005
      In a message dated 4/1/2005 2:40:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, barry.jewell@... writes:
      It certainly is possible, but did it happen?    And was Fremont's
       message of the 5th telegraphed or hand delivered? I just don't know.
      Once again, we do not actually know.  However, in speculation, and with probability, St Louis is a little over 200 hundred miles from Cairo either by river, or by overland travel.  Why would Fremont have a courier travel that distance to hand deliver an order when it could be done in minutes by telegraph.  We do know also, that both Fremont and Halleck used the telegraph quite frequently between St Louis and Cairo.  This being the case, what would be the reasoning for Fremont to send a hand delivered message by courier..    Personally, I agree that Grant did receive the authority to move on Paducah before deploying any troops there.  BTW, he deployed troops not only at Paducah, but also had two companies of the 40th Illinois (Companies A & F), guard the entrance of the Tennessee River at Smithfield.  The Fortieth deployed at Paducah on September 8th and immediately began boosting up defenses and working on the Marine Hospital.

      JEJ

    • CAMPAIGN62@AOL.COM
      Message 121 of 121 , Apr 14, 2005
        I found it. OR Vol 7 Pg 571 McCellan to Halleck and Buell " A deserter just
        in from the rebels, says that .... he heard officers say that Beauregaed was
        under orders to go to
        Kentucky with fifteen regiments from the Army of the Potomac.(Jan.29, 1862).

        Halleck replied on Jan 30. "Your telegraph regarding Beauregard is received.
        General Grant and Commodore Foote will be ordered to immediately advance, and
        to reduce and hold Fort Henry, on the Tennessee river.

        I remain, Sir, your most humble servant.