Re: Orders to occupy Paducah

  • bjer50010
    Message 1 of 121 , Apr 1, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@y...> wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, GnrlJEJohnston@a... wrote:
      > >
      > > In a message dated 4/1/2005 2:09:29 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      > > wh_keene@y... writes:
      > >
      > > In a message of the 5th Fremont did
      > > instruct Grant to occupy Paducah but whether this message reached
      > > Grant before he left for Paducah that night is not clear. Grant's
      > > correspondence from prior to going to Paducah does not give any
      > > indication that he had received that message. His messages do
      > > indicate that he thought he might be instructed not to go and also
      > > give the impression that there are other messages not contained in
      > > the records.
      > >

      > > At that period of time, Grant was in command of the District of
      > Cairo
      > > (Sherman succeeded him of this command on February 14, 1862 and
      > Grant was to
      > > command the District of West Tennessee) and lines were open between
      > St Louis and
      > > Cairo. Thus, it is very possible that Grant did receive Fremont's
      > > communication prior to his departure for Paducah.
      > >
      > > JEJ
      >
      > It certainly is possible, but did it happen? And was Fremont's
      > message of the 5th telegraphed or hand delivered? I just don't know.

      If the quoted material from Grant's memoirs had been more extensive, the answer
      would have been obvious! The following material is several paragraphs after that
      quoted in the original post.

      "On my return to Cairo I found authority from department headquarters for me to
      take Paducah "if I felt strong enough," but very soon after I was reprimanded from
      the same quarters for my correspondence with the legislature and warned against a
      repetition of the offence."

      ISTM that Grant not only indicated that Fremont had authorized the movement on
      Paducah (as stated in the message of Sept. 5 that has been alluded to), but that
      Grant gave sufficient credit to him in his memoirs. But he also points out that the
      message authorizing such a move was received after he left on his expedition.
      Whether it was telegraphed or not is still unclear, and I would be interested in getting
      more details about the message in Hungarian that Simon mentioned (and that I
      alluded to in an earlier post).

      Grant also provides a bit more detail about the forces he thought he was facing, and
      it is consistent with the report that is in the OR. IMHO the entire argument that
      Grant tried to take credit for the movement on Paducah, without crediting Fremont,
      is invalid. His memoir account appears to be wholly consistent with messages and
      reports that were written at the time.

      JB Jewell
    • CAMPAIGN62@AOL.COM
      Message 121 of 121 , Apr 14, 2005
        I found it. OR Vol 7 Pg 571 McCellan to Halleck and Buell " A deserter just
        in from the rebels, says that .... he heard officers say that Beauregaed was
        under orders to go to
        Kentucky with fifteen regiments from the Army of the Potomac.(Jan.29, 1862).

        Halleck replied on Jan 30. "Your telegraph regarding Beauregard is received.
        General Grant and Commodore Foote will be ordered to immediately advance, and
        to reduce and hold Fort Henry, on the Tennessee river.

        I remain, Sir, your most humble servant.