Re: Orders to occupy Paducah

  • William H Keene
    Message 1 of 121 , Apr 1, 2005

      > In a message dated 4/1/2005 2:09:29 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      > wh_keene@y... writes:
      >
      > In a message of the 5th Fremont did
      > instruct Grant to occupy Paducah but whether this message reached
      > Grant before he left for Paducah that night is not clear. Grant's
      > correspondence from prior to going to Paducah does not give any
      > indication that he had received that message. His messages do
      > indicate that he thought he might be instructed not to go and also
      > give the impression that there are other messages not contained in
      > the records.
      >

      > At that period of time, Grant was in command of the District of
      Cairo
      > (Sherman succeeded him of this command on February 14, 1862 and
      Grant was to
      > command the District of West Tennessee) and lines were open between
      St Louis and
      > Cairo. Thus, it is very possible that Grant did receive Fremont's
      > communication prior to his departure for Paducah.
      >
      > JEJ

      It certainly is possible, but did it happen? And was Fremont's
      message of the 5th telegraphed or hand delivered? I just don't know.
    • CAMPAIGN62@AOL.COM
      Message 121 of 121 , Apr 14, 2005
        I found it. OR Vol 7 Pg 571 McCellan to Halleck and Buell " A deserter just
        in from the rebels, says that .... he heard officers say that Beauregaed was
        under orders to go to
        Kentucky with fifteen regiments from the Army of the Potomac.(Jan.29, 1862).

        Halleck replied on Jan 30. "Your telegraph regarding Beauregard is received.
        General Grant and Commodore Foote will be ordered to immediately advance, and
        to reduce and hold Fort Henry, on the Tennessee river.

        I remain, Sir, your most humble servant.