Re: Orders to occupy Paducah

  • Dan Giallombardo
    Message 1 of 121 , Apr 1, 2005
      "Polk's move was certainly impolitic"...that's a
      charitable description.---Dan

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>

    • CAMPAIGN62@AOL.COM
      Message 121 of 121 , Apr 14, 2005
        I found it. OR Vol 7 Pg 571 McCellan to Halleck and Buell " A deserter just
        in from the rebels, says that .... he heard officers say that Beauregaed was
        under orders to go to
        Kentucky with fifteen regiments from the Army of the Potomac.(Jan.29, 1862).

        Halleck replied on Jan 30. "Your telegraph regarding Beauregard is received.
        General Grant and Commodore Foote will be ordered to immediately advance, and
        to reduce and hold Fort Henry, on the Tennessee river.

        I remain, Sir, your most humble servant.