Re: Orders to occupy Paducah

  • Dan Giallombardo
    Message 1 of 121 , Apr 1, 2005
      Bob,
      I must agree. The "pre-emptive invasion" to use contemporary
      terms, did absolutely no favors for the CSA.---Dan

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, huddleston.r@c... wrote:
      > >Yet, there's no question that Polk beat the Federals into
      Kentucky, >correct?

      > >> P.S. Grant may also have been wrong about how closely he beat
      >>the Rebels to Paducah, as I don't think that their arrival was
      nearly so
      > >> imminent.
      >
      > Of all the stupid moves made by either side in the Civil War,
      this "preemptive strike" ranks right behind the attack on Fort
      Sumter: all it did make certain that Kentucky not only remained loyal
      but also contributed large numbers to the Union Army.

    • CAMPAIGN62@AOL.COM
      Message 121 of 121 , Apr 14, 2005
        I found it. OR Vol 7 Pg 571 McCellan to Halleck and Buell " A deserter just
        in from the rebels, says that .... he heard officers say that Beauregaed was
        under orders to go to
        Kentucky with fifteen regiments from the Army of the Potomac.(Jan.29, 1862).

        Halleck replied on Jan 30. "Your telegraph regarding Beauregard is received.
        General Grant and Commodore Foote will be ordered to immediately advance, and
        to reduce and hold Fort Henry, on the Tennessee river.

        I remain, Sir, your most humble servant.