Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Orders to occupy Paducah

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 121 , Apr 1, 2005
      In a message dated 4/1/2005 2:09:29 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, wh_keene@... writes:
      In a message of the 5th Fremont did
      instruct Grant to occupy Paducah but whether this message reached
      Grant before he left for Paducah that night is not clear.  Grant's
      correspondence from prior to going to Paducah does not give any
      indication that he had received that message.  His messages do
      indicate that he thought he might be instructed not to go and also
      give the impression that there are other messages not contained in
      the records.
      At that period of time, Grant was in command of the District of Cairo (Sherman succeeded him of this command on February 14, 1862 and Grant was to command the District of West Tennessee) and lines were open between St Louis and Cairo.  Thus, it is very possible that Grant did receive Fremont's communication prior to his departure for Paducah.

      JEJ
    • CAMPAIGN62@AOL.COM
      Message 121 of 121 , Apr 14, 2005
        I found it. OR Vol 7 Pg 571 McCellan to Halleck and Buell " A deserter just
        in from the rebels, says that .... he heard officers say that Beauregaed was
        under orders to go to
        Kentucky with fifteen regiments from the Army of the Potomac.(Jan.29, 1862).

        Halleck replied on Jan 30. "Your telegraph regarding Beauregard is received.
        General Grant and Commodore Foote will be ordered to immediately advance, and
        to reduce and hold Fort Henry, on the Tennessee river.

        I remain, Sir, your most humble servant.