Re: Orders to occupy Paducah

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 121 , Mar 31, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...> wrote:

      > Yet, there's no question that Polk beat the Federals into Kentucky,
      > correct?

      Of course, that's what started this whole affair. As to the question
      of whether Grant was correct in claiming his movement's "anticipating
      the enemy by probably not over six or eight hours," he apparently
      wasn't. Grant thought the enemy was some 16 miles away (or about 6-8
      hours of marching). It appears that the enemy was not advancing on
      Paducah and Grant should have know about it by the time he wrote his
      memoirs.

      Joseph

    • CAMPAIGN62@AOL.COM
      Message 121 of 121 , Apr 14, 2005
        I found it. OR Vol 7 Pg 571 McCellan to Halleck and Buell " A deserter just
        in from the rebels, says that .... he heard officers say that Beauregaed was
        under orders to go to
        Kentucky with fifteen regiments from the Army of the Potomac.(Jan.29, 1862).

        Halleck replied on Jan 30. "Your telegraph regarding Beauregard is received.
        General Grant and Commodore Foote will be ordered to immediately advance, and
        to reduce and hold Fort Henry, on the Tennessee river.

        I remain, Sir, your most humble servant.