RE: [civilwarwest] Hatred of Sherman when did this happen

  • Brian Curnutt
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 24, 2005
      Message
      Any documentation of this? I'd be interested in learning more....

      Brian
      I read some where that Sherman was not that hated in the south soon
      after the war.  in fact he wen ton a very popular tour of the south
      after the war.  When did this hatred of Sherman happen?
      Your correct here.  Basically, Sherman hatred began in 1890's when not the participants, but their heirs started looking at the destruction and the cost of rebuilding which eventually they had to pay for.  It is also when stories and myths about the war seem to begin.

      JEJ

    • James2044
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 25, 2005

        > In a message dated 3/23/2005 9:19:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        > turnierwa@g... writes:
        >

        > I read some where that Sherman was not that hated in the south
        soon
        > after the war. in fact he wen ton a very popular tour of the
        south
        > after the war. When did this hatred of Sherman happen?
        >

        > Your correct here. Basically, Sherman hatred began in 1890's when
        not the
        > participants, but their heirs started looking at the destruction
        and the cost
        > of rebuilding which eventually they had to pay for. It is also
        when stories
        > and myths about the war seem to begin.
        >
        > JEJ

        Isn't that the same time as the Longstreet Myth started and the Lost
        Cause Myth really started to take hold? It would make sense if it
        is.

        James2044