Question on A.S. Johnston

  • Bill Gower
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2005

      I was reading a comment in the book, “Shiloh”, by Larry Daniels that says that after Lee turned down the offer from Scott to head up the Union army, it was offered to A.S. Johnston.  For his source, Daniels quotes Woodworth, in “Jefferson Davis and his Generals”.  I checked Woodworth and he quotes Bruce Catton in “the Coming Fury”.  I am unable to find the reference in Catton’s work.  My version of “The Coming Fury” is not the same version as the one that Woodworth uses and I can’t match up the page numbers.  Has anyone else heard this before?

      This is what Woodworth has to say on the matter.

      “He had exercised his new command but a few months when the secession of his adopted state, Texas, prompted him to resign his commission.  This he did despite a telegram from Washington offering him chief command of the entire United States army second only to Scott.  The offer had first been made to Robert E. Lee, who had declined it.”