RE: [civilwarwest] That " Devil" Forest

  • Ricky Washburn
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 4, 2005
      Thank you Tom, Very well stated!

      --- Tom Mix <tmix@...> wrote:

      > That is a very controversial topic but from what I
      > know Forrest had the
      > upper hand in the battle. He controlled the high
      > ground looking into the
      > "fort". The fort was really some earth works created
      > with in the
      > original previously built by Confederates. The
      > inhabitants were not just
      > Black soldiers but also white Union supporters from
      > Western Tennessee.
      > The fort had an open rear inviting envelopment.
      > Forrest was in position
      > to over run the fort and did what he always did;
      > inform the Union
      > commander that if he did not surrender the
      > inhabitants would be put to
      > the sword. He meant the Union soldiers in general
      > not just the Black
      > Union soldiers. In the past that had been enough for
      > a quick surrender
      > but this time his terms were rejected. This
      > surprised Forrest but he
      > ordered the attack. It ended up being a shooting
      > gallery. They quickly
      > over ran the earth works and fired down upon the
      > Union troops. It was
      > virtually impossible to not kill their targets. The
      > Union commander died
      > early leaving the Union command structure in a mess.
      > No one really
      > assumed command. The US troops were like fish in
      > barrel. Forrest and his
      > officers rode down to the battle and ordered the
      > firing to cease.
      > Eventually the firing stopped but it was too late. A
      > horrible and
      > inaccurate legend had been born.
      > Grant ordered Sherman to investigate the fight after
      > the war. Sherman
      > exonerated Forrest. The troops had simply got out of
      > control. Confusion
      > reigned until Forrest arrived personally to put a
      > stop to it which he
      > did.
      >
      > After the war Forrest worked to increase the rights
      > of the newly freed
      > slaves. He especially worked hard in the area of
      > elections. The pre and
      > post war Forrest's were two different men all
      > together.
      >
      > We won't discuss the Klan here but suffice it to
      > note that he resigned
      > when they became a hate group. No more should be
      > said on this forum
      > regarding it per our rules which I respect and agree
      > with.

      .....Eternally.....

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Tom Mix
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 4, 2005
        Ricky,
        For a long time I despised Forrest but that was due to my ignorance.
        Since then he has become a favorite of mine. A man who took control of
        his life and changed himself for the better. After the war he also
        became a devout Christian.
        tom

        > That is a very controversial topic but from what I
        > know Forrest had the
        > upper hand in the battle. He controlled the high
        > ground looking into the
        > "fort". The fort was really some earth works created
        > with in the
        > original previously built by Confederates. The
        > inhabitants were not just
        > Black soldiers but also white Union supporters from
        > Western Tennessee.
        > The fort had an open rear inviting envelopment.
        > Forrest was in position
        > to over run the fort and did what he always did;
        > inform the Union
        > commander that if he did not surrender the
        > inhabitants would be put to
        > the sword. He meant the Union soldiers in general
        > not just the Black
        > Union soldiers. In the past that had been enough for
        > a quick surrender
        > but this time his terms were rejected. This
        > surprised Forrest but he
        > ordered the attack. It ended up being a shooting
        > gallery. They quickly
        > over ran the earth works and fired down upon the
        > Union troops. It was
        > virtually impossible to not kill their targets. The
        > Union commander died
        > early leaving the Union command structure in a mess.
        > No one really
        > assumed command. The US troops were like fish in
        > barrel. Forrest and his
        > officers rode down to the battle and ordered the
        > firing to cease.
        > Eventually the firing stopped but it was too late. A
        > horrible and
        > inaccurate legend had been born.
        > Grant ordered Sherman to investigate the fight after
        > the war. Sherman
        > exonerated Forrest. The troops had simply got out of
        > control. Confusion
        > reigned until Forrest arrived personally to put a
        > stop to it which he
        > did.
        >
        > After the war Forrest worked to increase the rights
        > of the newly freed
        > slaves. He especially worked hard in the area of
        > elections. The pre and
        > post war Forrest's were two different men all
        > together.
        >
        > We won't discuss the Klan here but suffice it to
        > note that he resigned
        > when they became a hate group. No more should be
        > said on this forum
        > regarding it per our rules which I respect and agree
        > with.

        .....Eternally.....

      • brainbent
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 5, 2005
          Very well said.

          Troops many times got out of hand in the heat of battle and this was
          just another case of the same.

          Almost every battle account has troops of either side firing into the
          back of those retreating, whether orderly or fleeing in panic.

        • huddleston.r@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 5, 2005
            No, Tom, it is not "well stated: you make unsupported statements about NBF's postwar career, and then blandly comment that the topic is off limits. A good way to start an argument, while waiting for the moderators to step in.

            Take care,

            Bob

            Judy and Bob Huddleston
            10643 Sperry Street
            Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
            303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 5, 2005
              Bob,
              I know the rules of how this moderated and plan to follow them. How you
              view them is up to you.
              I'm not about to begin foot noting my comments, so deal with it.
              tom

              > That is a very controversial topic but from what I know Forrest had
              > the upper hand in the battle. He controlled the high ground looking
              > into the "fort". The fort was really some earth works created with in
              > the original previously built by Confederates. The inhabitants were
              > not just Black soldiers but also white Union supporters from Western
              > Tennessee.
              > The fort had an open rear inviting envelopment.
              > Forrest was in position
              > to over run the fort and did what he always did; inform the Union
              > commander that if he did not surrender the inhabitants would be put to

              > the sword. He meant the Union soldiers in general not just the Black
              > Union soldiers. In the past that had been enough for a quick surrender

              > but this time his terms were rejected. This surprised Forrest but he
              > ordered the attack. It ended up being a shooting gallery. They quickly

              > over ran the earth works and fired down upon the Union troops. It was
              > virtually impossible to not kill their targets. The Union commander
              > died early leaving the Union command structure in a mess.
              > No one really
              > assumed command. The US troops were like fish in barrel. Forrest and
              > his officers rode down to the battle and ordered the firing to cease.
              > Eventually the firing stopped but it was too late. A horrible and
              > inaccurate legend had been born.
              > Grant ordered Sherman to investigate the fight after the war. Sherman
              > exonerated Forrest. The troops had simply got out of control.
              > Confusion reigned until Forrest arrived personally to put a stop to it

              > which he did.
              >
              > After the war Forrest worked to increase the rights of the newly freed

              > slaves. He especially worked hard in the area of elections. The pre
              > and post war Forrest's were two different men all together.
              >
              > We won't discuss the Klan here but suffice it to note that he resigned

              > when they became a hate group. No more should be said on this forum
              > regarding it per our rules which I respect and agree with.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Dick Weeks
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 5, 2005
                Well, the moderator just stepped in. Take this beauty to private email.
                Now.

                Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                http://www.civilwarhome.com

                > No, Tom, it is not "well stated: you make unsupported statements about
                NBF's postwar career, and then blandly comment that the topic is off limits.
                A good way to start an argument, while waiting for the moderators to step
                in.

                > Take care,
                >
                > Bob
                >
                > Judy and Bob Huddleston
                > 10643 Sperry Street
                > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
                > 303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...

              • James2044
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 5, 2005
                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mix" <tmix@i...> wrote:
                  > That is a very controversial topic but from what I know Forrest
                  had the
                  > upper hand in the battle. He controlled the high ground looking
                  into the
                  > "fort". The fort was really some earth works created with in the
                  > original previously built by Confederates. The inhabitants were
                  not just
                  > Black soldiers but also white Union supporters from Western
                  Tennessee.
                  > The fort had an open rear inviting envelopment. Forrest was in
                  position
                  > to over run the fort and did what he always did; inform the Union
                  > commander that if he did not surrender the inhabitants would be
                  put to
                  > the sword. He meant the Union soldiers in general not just the
                  Black
                  > Union soldiers. In the past that had been enough for a quick
                  surrender
                  > but this time his terms were rejected. This surprised Forrest but
                  he
                  > ordered the attack. It ended up being a shooting gallery. They
                  quickly
                  > over ran the earth works and fired down upon the Union troops. It
                  was
                  > virtually impossible to not kill their targets. The Union
                  commander died
                  > early leaving the Union command structure in a mess. No one really
                  > assumed command. The US troops were like fish in barrel. Forrest
                  and his
                  > officers rode down to the battle and ordered the firing to cease.
                  > Eventually the firing stopped but it was too late. A horrible and
                  > inaccurate legend had been born.
                  > Grant ordered Sherman to investigate the fight after the war.
                  Sherman
                  > exonerated Forrest. The troops had simply got out of control.
                  Confusion
                  > reigned until Forrest arrived personally to put a stop to it which
                  he
                  > did.
                  >
                  > After the war Forrest worked to increase the rights of the newly
                  freed
                  > slaves. He especially worked hard in the area of elections. The
                  pre and
                  > post war Forrest's were two different men all together.
                  >
                  > We won't discuss the Klan here but suffice it to note that he
                  resigned
                  > when they became a hate group. No more should be said on this forum
                  > regarding it per our rules which I respect and agree with.

                  Tom has presented a very good overall description of the "battle".
                  I would like to add that the loss of command & control on the Union
                  side made a general surrender impossible. More than once, Union
                  troops fired on men accepting a surrender of other Union troops.
                  Regional & racial hate did play into the problems but the loss of
                  C&C was the major reason.

                  For an excellent discussion of the surrender process during battle,
                  see John Keegan's "The Face of Battle".

                  James2044
                • James2044
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 5, 2005
                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "brainbent" <brainbent@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > Almost every battle account has troops of either side firing into
                    the
                    > back of those retreating, whether orderly or fleeing in panic.

                    That is a legal action in either case. They should be considered a
                    target.

                    James2044