Re: [civilwarwest] That " Devil" Forest

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 4, 2005
      In a message dated 3/4/2005 12:31:53 PM Central Standard Time, tlind1@... writes:

      Anyone read this book by John Allan Wyeth?? I just picked it up at
      Borders...got through the foreward by Albert Castel...he rates the
      book pretty high but does make note that Forest is Wyeth's hero and
      is a little biased...Just wondering waht everyone thought of this..

      Kindest Regards,
      Tracey

      All of the Forrest Bios are pretty complimentary, and tend to focus on 1862 and 64-5. Wyeth is no exception. The critical  last half of 1863 period, when Forrest was in charge of one of Bragg's two Cav Corps, is glossed over quickly, with little critical analysis.

      IMO, none of the Forrest Bios are really a balanced treatment. They all, to a greater or lesser extent, simply tell the same back-slapping stories about him.

      Dave Powell
    • Rielle
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 4, 2005
        What I really would like to know about Nathan Bedford Forest is [according to the list members and your sources] why did he act as he did at Fort Pillow? What do the historical sources say about it. I've read at least part of Forest' report on the affair to his superiors, but ...it seems to me that this might be another case like Andersonville, where Wirz claimed innocence, and claimed he did all he could there [which might be true] and the Committee on the Conduct of the War wouldn't listen to him at all.

        I'm genuinely interested and curious about this, what sources can you suggest?

        How body from spirit does unwind, until we are pure spirit at the end
        "Infirmity" by Theodore Roethke
        American poet, 1908-1963

        tlind1@... writes:

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        click here

        Service.

        Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
        As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/emreg

        Netscape. Just the Net You Need.
      • Tom Mix
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 4, 2005
          That is a very controversial topic but from what I know Forrest had the
          upper hand in the battle. He controlled the high ground looking into the
          "fort". The fort was really some earth works created with in the
          original previously built by Confederates. The inhabitants were not just
          Black soldiers but also white Union supporters from Western Tennessee.
          The fort had an open rear inviting envelopment. Forrest was in position
          to over run the fort and did what he always did; inform the Union
          commander that if he did not surrender the inhabitants would be put to
          the sword. He meant the Union soldiers in general not just the Black
          Union soldiers. In the past that had been enough for a quick surrender
          but this time his terms were rejected. This surprised Forrest but he
          ordered the attack. It ended up being a shooting gallery. They quickly
          over ran the earth works and fired down upon the Union troops. It was
          virtually impossible to not kill their targets. The Union commander died
          early leaving the Union command structure in a mess. No one really
          assumed command. The US troops were like fish in barrel. Forrest and his
          officers rode down to the battle and ordered the firing to cease.
          Eventually the firing stopped but it was too late. A horrible and
          inaccurate legend had been born.
          Grant ordered Sherman to investigate the fight after the war. Sherman
          exonerated Forrest. The troops had simply got out of control. Confusion
          reigned until Forrest arrived personally to put a stop to it which he
          did.

          After the war Forrest worked to increase the rights of the newly freed
          slaves. He especially worked hard in the area of elections. The pre and
          post war Forrest's were two different men all together.

          We won't discuss the Klan here but suffice it to note that he resigned
          when they became a hate group. No more should be said on this forum
          regarding it per our rules which I respect and agree with.

          tlind1@... writes:

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Tom Mix
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 4, 2005
            Let me recommend another book. "The Confederacy's Greatest General
            Nathan Bedford Forrest" by Brian Steel Wills.
            Tom

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 4, 2005
              Thank you Tom, Very well stated!

              --- Tom Mix <tmix@...> wrote:

              > That is a very controversial topic but from what I
              > know Forrest had the
              > upper hand in the battle. He controlled the high
              > ground looking into the
              > "fort". The fort was really some earth works created
              > with in the
              > original previously built by Confederates. The
              > inhabitants were not just
              > Black soldiers but also white Union supporters from
              > Western Tennessee.
              > The fort had an open rear inviting envelopment.
              > Forrest was in position
              > to over run the fort and did what he always did;
              > inform the Union
              > commander that if he did not surrender the
              > inhabitants would be put to
              > the sword. He meant the Union soldiers in general
              > not just the Black
              > Union soldiers. In the past that had been enough for
              > a quick surrender
              > but this time his terms were rejected. This
              > surprised Forrest but he
              > ordered the attack. It ended up being a shooting
              > gallery. They quickly
              > over ran the earth works and fired down upon the
              > Union troops. It was
              > virtually impossible to not kill their targets. The
              > Union commander died
              > early leaving the Union command structure in a mess.
              > No one really
              > assumed command. The US troops were like fish in
              > barrel. Forrest and his
              > officers rode down to the battle and ordered the
              > firing to cease.
              > Eventually the firing stopped but it was too late. A
              > horrible and
              > inaccurate legend had been born.
              > Grant ordered Sherman to investigate the fight after
              > the war. Sherman
              > exonerated Forrest. The troops had simply got out of
              > control. Confusion
              > reigned until Forrest arrived personally to put a
              > stop to it which he
              > did.
              >
              > After the war Forrest worked to increase the rights
              > of the newly freed
              > slaves. He especially worked hard in the area of
              > elections. The pre and
              > post war Forrest's were two different men all
              > together.
              >
              > We won't discuss the Klan here but suffice it to
              > note that he resigned
              > when they became a hate group. No more should be
              > said on this forum
              > regarding it per our rules which I respect and agree
              > with.

              .....Eternally.....

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Tom Mix
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 4, 2005
                Ricky,
                For a long time I despised Forrest but that was due to my ignorance.
                Since then he has become a favorite of mine. A man who took control of
                his life and changed himself for the better. After the war he also
                became a devout Christian.
                tom

                > That is a very controversial topic but from what I
                > know Forrest had the
                > upper hand in the battle. He controlled the high
                > ground looking into the
                > "fort". The fort was really some earth works created
                > with in the
                > original previously built by Confederates. The
                > inhabitants were not just
                > Black soldiers but also white Union supporters from
                > Western Tennessee.
                > The fort had an open rear inviting envelopment.
                > Forrest was in position
                > to over run the fort and did what he always did;
                > inform the Union
                > commander that if he did not surrender the
                > inhabitants would be put to
                > the sword. He meant the Union soldiers in general
                > not just the Black
                > Union soldiers. In the past that had been enough for
                > a quick surrender
                > but this time his terms were rejected. This
                > surprised Forrest but he
                > ordered the attack. It ended up being a shooting
                > gallery. They quickly
                > over ran the earth works and fired down upon the
                > Union troops. It was
                > virtually impossible to not kill their targets. The
                > Union commander died
                > early leaving the Union command structure in a mess.
                > No one really
                > assumed command. The US troops were like fish in
                > barrel. Forrest and his
                > officers rode down to the battle and ordered the
                > firing to cease.
                > Eventually the firing stopped but it was too late. A
                > horrible and
                > inaccurate legend had been born.
                > Grant ordered Sherman to investigate the fight after
                > the war. Sherman
                > exonerated Forrest. The troops had simply got out of
                > control. Confusion
                > reigned until Forrest arrived personally to put a
                > stop to it which he
                > did.
                >
                > After the war Forrest worked to increase the rights
                > of the newly freed
                > slaves. He especially worked hard in the area of
                > elections. The pre and
                > post war Forrest's were two different men all
                > together.
                >
                > We won't discuss the Klan here but suffice it to
                > note that he resigned
                > when they became a hate group. No more should be
                > said on this forum
                > regarding it per our rules which I respect and agree
                > with.

                .....Eternally.....

              • brainbent
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 5, 2005
                  Very well said.

                  Troops many times got out of hand in the heat of battle and this was
                  just another case of the same.

                  Almost every battle account has troops of either side firing into the
                  back of those retreating, whether orderly or fleeing in panic.

                • huddleston.r@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 5, 2005
                    No, Tom, it is not "well stated: you make unsupported statements about NBF's postwar career, and then blandly comment that the topic is off limits. A good way to start an argument, while waiting for the moderators to step in.

                    Take care,

                    Bob

                    Judy and Bob Huddleston
                    10643 Sperry Street
                    Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
                    303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 5, 2005
                      Bob,
                      I know the rules of how this moderated and plan to follow them. How you
                      view them is up to you.
                      I'm not about to begin foot noting my comments, so deal with it.
                      tom

                      > That is a very controversial topic but from what I know Forrest had
                      > the upper hand in the battle. He controlled the high ground looking
                      > into the "fort". The fort was really some earth works created with in
                      > the original previously built by Confederates. The inhabitants were
                      > not just Black soldiers but also white Union supporters from Western
                      > Tennessee.
                      > The fort had an open rear inviting envelopment.
                      > Forrest was in position
                      > to over run the fort and did what he always did; inform the Union
                      > commander that if he did not surrender the inhabitants would be put to

                      > the sword. He meant the Union soldiers in general not just the Black
                      > Union soldiers. In the past that had been enough for a quick surrender

                      > but this time his terms were rejected. This surprised Forrest but he
                      > ordered the attack. It ended up being a shooting gallery. They quickly

                      > over ran the earth works and fired down upon the Union troops. It was
                      > virtually impossible to not kill their targets. The Union commander
                      > died early leaving the Union command structure in a mess.
                      > No one really
                      > assumed command. The US troops were like fish in barrel. Forrest and
                      > his officers rode down to the battle and ordered the firing to cease.
                      > Eventually the firing stopped but it was too late. A horrible and
                      > inaccurate legend had been born.
                      > Grant ordered Sherman to investigate the fight after the war. Sherman
                      > exonerated Forrest. The troops had simply got out of control.
                      > Confusion reigned until Forrest arrived personally to put a stop to it

                      > which he did.
                      >
                      > After the war Forrest worked to increase the rights of the newly freed

                      > slaves. He especially worked hard in the area of elections. The pre
                      > and post war Forrest's were two different men all together.
                      >
                      > We won't discuss the Klan here but suffice it to note that he resigned

                      > when they became a hate group. No more should be said on this forum
                      > regarding it per our rules which I respect and agree with.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Dick Weeks
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 5, 2005
                        Well, the moderator just stepped in. Take this beauty to private email.
                        Now.

                        Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                        http://www.civilwarhome.com

                        > No, Tom, it is not "well stated: you make unsupported statements about
                        NBF's postwar career, and then blandly comment that the topic is off limits.
                        A good way to start an argument, while waiting for the moderators to step
                        in.

                        > Take care,
                        >
                        > Bob
                        >
                        > Judy and Bob Huddleston
                        > 10643 Sperry Street
                        > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
                        > 303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...

                      • James2044
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 5, 2005
                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mix" <tmix@i...> wrote:
                          > That is a very controversial topic but from what I know Forrest
                          had the
                          > upper hand in the battle. He controlled the high ground looking
                          into the
                          > "fort". The fort was really some earth works created with in the
                          > original previously built by Confederates. The inhabitants were
                          not just
                          > Black soldiers but also white Union supporters from Western
                          Tennessee.
                          > The fort had an open rear inviting envelopment. Forrest was in
                          position
                          > to over run the fort and did what he always did; inform the Union
                          > commander that if he did not surrender the inhabitants would be
                          put to
                          > the sword. He meant the Union soldiers in general not just the
                          Black
                          > Union soldiers. In the past that had been enough for a quick
                          surrender
                          > but this time his terms were rejected. This surprised Forrest but
                          he
                          > ordered the attack. It ended up being a shooting gallery. They
                          quickly
                          > over ran the earth works and fired down upon the Union troops. It
                          was
                          > virtually impossible to not kill their targets. The Union
                          commander died
                          > early leaving the Union command structure in a mess. No one really
                          > assumed command. The US troops were like fish in barrel. Forrest
                          and his
                          > officers rode down to the battle and ordered the firing to cease.
                          > Eventually the firing stopped but it was too late. A horrible and
                          > inaccurate legend had been born.
                          > Grant ordered Sherman to investigate the fight after the war.
                          Sherman
                          > exonerated Forrest. The troops had simply got out of control.
                          Confusion
                          > reigned until Forrest arrived personally to put a stop to it which
                          he
                          > did.
                          >
                          > After the war Forrest worked to increase the rights of the newly
                          freed
                          > slaves. He especially worked hard in the area of elections. The
                          pre and
                          > post war Forrest's were two different men all together.
                          >
                          > We won't discuss the Klan here but suffice it to note that he
                          resigned
                          > when they became a hate group. No more should be said on this forum
                          > regarding it per our rules which I respect and agree with.

                          Tom has presented a very good overall description of the "battle".
                          I would like to add that the loss of command & control on the Union
                          side made a general surrender impossible. More than once, Union
                          troops fired on men accepting a surrender of other Union troops.
                          Regional & racial hate did play into the problems but the loss of
                          C&C was the major reason.

                          For an excellent discussion of the surrender process during battle,
                          see John Keegan's "The Face of Battle".

                          James2044
                        • James2044
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 5, 2005
                            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "brainbent" <brainbent@y...>
                            wrote:

                            > Almost every battle account has troops of either side firing into
                            the
                            > back of those retreating, whether orderly or fleeing in panic.

                            That is a legal action in either case. They should be considered a
                            target.

                            James2044