NYC Library Putting Images Online

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
      NYC Library Putting Images Online
      By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

      Published: March 2, 2005

      Filed at 8:42 p.m. ET
      NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York Public Library is putting hundreds of
      thousands of its images online, allowing free personal downloads of material
      including maps, Civil War photos and illuminated medieval manuscripts.
      The NYPL Digital Gallery will have 275,000 images available beginning
      Thursday, and the collection will grow to 500,000 images over the next
      several months, library officials announced Wednesday.
      Many of the images are unique to the library, library President Paul LeClerc
      said.
      The images should get wide use, whether by ``a historian studying the
      Revolutionary War, a scenic designer researching old New York neighborhoods
      or a fashion designer looking for inspiration in vintage clothing,'' said
      David Ferriero, the library's Andrew W. Mellon director and chief executive
      of the research libraries.
      The materials can be downloaded free for personal use. Use of the images for
      publication or in film, television or the Internet can be arranged through
      the library's Permissions Department.
      ------
      On the Net:
      http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...
    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
        Bob,

        How does one go about getting a user name and password for this?

        Harry

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bob Huddleston
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
          Right now you all I know about these! Which is the accompanying news
          release/

          Take care,

          Bob

          Judy and Bob Huddleston
          10643 Sperry Street
          Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
          303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
            Might have to wait until tomorrow, when the digital library becomes
            available...

            Brian