Re: Naval History - CSS ARKANSAS

  • tlind1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 4:59 AM
      Van Dorn was never the brightest..just read any book on Pea
      Ridge..other than a brief victory at Holly Springs...he was pretty
      much a failure...a lot of people contribute the fall of Vicksburg to
      Pemberton but the seeds were sown with Van Dorn..

      As far as the Arkansas...General Brown,the commander, was ill when
      he learned of Van Dorn sending the Arkansas to Baton Rouge. He left
      his sick bed to try and stop the Arkansas but was too late..

      Just another example of failed leadership in the West.

      Kindest Regards,
      Tracy