Re: [civilwarwest] Naval History - CSS ARKANSAS

  • basecat1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2005
      In a message dated 2/28/2005 9:08:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, CAMPAIGN62@... writes:
      Imagine having to run through an entire fleet. And doing it sucessfully. I
      agree.`Monitor vs.`"MerrimacK" is better known, but that's just the Eastern bias
      in Civil war Studies.
      Just a thought here about the Arkansas, the ship did not fail, but was put in a no win situation by Van Dorn.  Amazing to me, that it was ordered to join in on the fight at Baton Rouge, and yet the commander had no clue as to the skeleton crew the ship had, or any knowledge that it was not sufficiently repaired after its first runin with the Union Navy.

      Regards from the Garden State,

      Steve Basic
    • tlind1@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
        Van Dorn was never the brightest..just read any book on Pea
        Ridge..other than a brief victory at Holly Springs...he was pretty
        much a failure...a lot of people contribute the fall of Vicksburg to
        Pemberton but the seeds were sown with Van Dorn..

        As far as the Arkansas...General Brown,the commander, was ill when
        he learned of Van Dorn sending the Arkansas to Baton Rouge. He left
        his sick bed to try and stop the Arkansas but was too late..

        Just another example of failed leadership in the West.

        Kindest Regards,
        Tracy