Vicksburg Campaign Survey

  • Bill Gower
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 9, 2005

      What areas or battles of the campaign do you think have not been well covered and need to be addressed?

    • b_schulte70
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 9, 2005
        Bill,

        I'd like to see more on the initial attempt by Grant to move south
        through Mississippi until Van Dorn burned his main supply depot at
        Holly Springs, more on Chickasaw Bluffs, more on Port Gibson, Raymond,
        Jackson, and the two main assaults at Vicksburg proper. "Grant's
        canal" has been done to death, and so has Champion Hill, relatively
        speaking. When compared to Gettysburg (which has been done to death
        and more), I think EVERY part of the Campaign and Siege need more
        coverage. I can never get enough Vicksburg. Or Atlanta for that
        matter. But that's for another day and another thread...

        Brett S.

      • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 9, 2005
          In a message dated 2/9/2005 8:09:42 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, billgower@... writes:
          What areas or battles of the campaign do you think have not been well covered and need to be addressed?
          We have not really discussed Sherman's Meridian campaign to any length.

          JEJ
        • b_schulte70
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 9, 2005
            JEJ,

            Have you read Margie Bearss' book on the Meridian Campaign? I thought
            it was pretty good from what I remember of it.

            Brett S.

          • SDE80@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 9, 2005
              In a message dated 2/9/2005 10:57:24 AM Eastern Standard Time, brett@... writes:

              Have you read Margie Bearss' book on the Meridian Campaign?  I thought
              it was pretty good from what I remember of it.

              There should be a new book out on Meridian in the coming months.

              Sam Elliott
            • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 9, 2005
                In a message dated 2/9/2005 10:57:16 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, brett@... writes:
                JEJ,

                Have you read Margie Bearss' book on the Meridian Campaign?  I thought
                it was pretty good from what I remember of it.

                Brett S
                As far as I know, that is the only book ever written on that campaign.  It is excellent and very detailed.  I am sure that Ed helped her on it.  It was just a year ago that I visited Quitman where Grishelm completely devastated the town and burned down two Confederate hospitals.  I also believe that Wirt Adams never received  credit enough for what he did in trying to halt Sherman's advance.

                JEJ
              • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 9, 2005
                  In a message dated 2/9/2005 11:10:53 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, SDE80@... writes:
                  There should be a new book out on Meridian in the coming months.

                  Sam Elliott

                  Who is writing it Sam ?????
                • b_schulte70
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 9, 2005
                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@a... wrote:
                    > In a message dated 2/9/2005 10:57:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                    > brett@b... writes:
                    >
                    > > Have you read Margie Bearss' book on the Meridian Campaign? I thought
                    > > it was pretty good from what I remember of it.
                    > >

                    > There should be a new book out on Meridian in the coming months.
                    >
                    > Sam Elliott

                    Sam,

                    Really? I'd be interested in picking that up. Do you have any other
                    info? It looks like that'll be added to my ever-growing Amazon list.

                    Brett
                  • William H Keene
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 9, 2005
                      wrote:
                      > What areas or battles of the campaign do you think have not been
                      well
                      > covered and need to be addressed?

                      Maybe a detailed disucssion of Sherman vs Johnston during and after
                      the seige of Vicksburg, leading up to the seige of Jackson.

                      I have an interest in a detailed examination of the communciations
                      between Halleck, Grant and Banks regarding cooperation and the
                      efforts to that end. I think the subject could make a good magazine
                      article.

                      I'd also like to see a little more on the battle of Port Gibson. Its
                      covered to a certain extent in the various books on the campaign, but
                      I still feel like I have a grasp of it.
                    • Tom Mix
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 9, 2005
                        Brett,
                        I'm with you on that. Sounds good.
                        Tom

                        > In a message dated 2/9/2005 10:57:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                        > brett@b... writes:
                        >
                        > > Have you read Margie Bearss' book on the Meridian Campaign? I
                        thought
                        > > it was pretty good from what I remember of it.
                        > >

                        > There should be a new book out on Meridian in the coming months.
                        >
                        > Sam Elliott

                        Sam,

                        Really? I'd be interested in picking that up. Do you have any other
                        info? It looks like that'll be added to my ever-growing Amazon list.

                        Brett

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • William H Keene
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 9, 2005
                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
                          > I'd also like to see a little more on the battle of Port Gibson. Its
                          > covered to a certain extent in the various books on the campaign, but
                          > I still feel like I have a grasp of it.

                          Missing a negative in there. Meant to say "still feel like I don't have a grasp of it".
                        • SDE80@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 9, 2005
                            In a message dated 2/9/2005 11:24:41 AM Eastern Standard Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:

                            There should be a new book out on Meridian in the coming months.

                            Sam Elliott

                            Who is writing it Sam ?????

                            General, a young historian.  I am reluctant to name names because he may not be where he wants that known yet.

                            Sam Elliott
                          • SDE80@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 9, 2005
                              In a message dated 2/9/2005 11:24:46 AM Eastern Standard Time, brett@... writes:

                              Sam,

                              Really?  I'd be interested in picking that up.  Do you have any other
                              info?  It looks like that'll be added to my ever-growing Amazon list.

                              Brett, no other info yet.  It does not yet appear on the list of the university press that is going to publish it, otherwise, I'd name names.  <g>   I expect that it will be a fine work, though, knowing who's working on it.

                              Sam Elliott
                            • Ray Todd Knight
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 9, 2005
                                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gower" <billgower@c...> wrote:
                                > What areas or battles of the campaign do you think have not been well
                                > covered and need to be addressed?

                                I have recently been studying the muster rolls of Cobb's Battery. From
                                several sources I have read that they were heavily involved in the
                                fight at Jackson a few days after Vicksburg fell, around the 15-17th
                                of July. From what I have read in the muster rolls though there
                                appears to be several deaths and a number of injuries on July 24th at
                                "Strong's River". I'm not sure if these were from the action in
                                Jackson earlier and just not recorded until the 24th or if this was a
                                seperate action.
                                Thanks

                                Todd
                              • William H Keene
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 9, 2005
                                  After Johnston evacuated Jackson on the 17th, he retreated as far as
                                  Morton, which is right near the Strong River. Howver Sherman did not
                                  pursue that far (only about as far as Brandon) and by the 24th
                                  Sherman was on his way back to Vicksburg. So there wasn't any action
                                  at Morton or on the Strong River at that time.

                                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Todd Knight"
                                  <rayknight@c...> wrote:
                                  > I have recently been studying the muster rolls of Cobb's Battery.
                                  From
                                  > several sources I have read that they were heavily involved in the
                                  > fight at Jackson a few days after Vicksburg fell, around the 15-17th
                                  > of July. From what I have read in the muster rolls though there
                                  > appears to be several deaths and a number of injuries on July 24th
                                  at
                                  > "Strong's River". I'm not sure if these were from the action in
                                  > Jackson earlier and just not recorded until the 24th or if this was
                                  > seperate action.
                                  > Thanks
                                  >
                                  > Todd
                                • Tony Gunter
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 10, 2005
                                    <wh_keene@y...> wrote:

                                    > After Johnston evacuated Jackson on the 17th, he retreated as far
                                    as
                                    > Morton, which is right near the Strong River. Howver Sherman did
                                    not
                                    > pursue that far (only about as far as Brandon) and by the 24th
                                    > Sherman was on his way back to Vicksburg. So there wasn't any
                                    action
                                    > at Morton or on the Strong River at that time.

                                    Given the number of fortifications, both Union and Confederate,
                                    around Jackson, why didn't Sherman occupy and hold Jackson? Seems
                                    the Pearl River would have been an excellent line from which to
                                    launch raids, if nothing else. There were Confederate industrial
                                    facilities as close by as Choctaw county (80 miles north) and Merdian
                                    (80 miles east).
                                  • William H Keene
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 10, 2005
                                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@y...> wrote:
                                      > Given the number of fortifications, both Union and Confederate,
                                      > around Jackson, why didn't Sherman occupy and hold Jackson? Seems
                                      > the Pearl River would have been an excellent line from which to
                                      > launch raids, if nothing else. There were Confederate industrial
                                      > facilities as close by as Choctaw county (80 miles north) and Merdian
                                      > (80 miles east).

                                      The simple answer is that Sherman was doing what Grant had directed him to do. As to
                                      why Grant chose not to hold Jackson, I am not sure a tthe moment but I suspect it was
                                      related to a concern about leaving a force in a position where it could be isolated by the
                                      enemy.
                                    • ron
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 13, 2005
                                        Bill,

                                        I have often felt that the long seige and eventual federal victory overshadowed an incredible heroic effort by the confederate forces to defend against the intial charges by Grant and his generals in May. Those were two days of stunning defeat by the federals in any manner of measurement. Sherman himself declared that sending any further troops down the graveyard road was simply murder.

                                        Ron Wright

                                        From: "Bill Gower" <billgower@...>
                                        Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 08:05:16 -0500

                                        Sent via the WebMail system at sailsoutheast.org