Essential Reading List

  • Bill Gower
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005

      What are considered to be the essential books about the CW in the West?

    • basecat1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
        In a message dated 2/3/2005 11:35:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, billgower@... writes:

        What are considered to be the essential books about the CW in the West?

        Bill,

        Even though I am a notorious fan of that battle in Pennsylvania, I  have a lot more books on the West than I do on that off topic place here.

        Here are a few I really liked.

        Sherman's Horsemen By David Evans.  Fine book on the Union Cavalry during the Atlanta Campaign.

        The Pride of the Confederate Artillery: The Washington Artillery in the Army of Tennessee by Nathaniel C. Hughes.  Fine story of those who served with this unit out West.

        Davis and Lee At War and Jefferson Davis and His Generals:The Failure Of Confederate Command In the West By Steven Woodworth.  Both books delve into the Confederate Strategy in the Western Theater.

        The Orphan Brigade: The Kentucky Confederates Who Couldn't Go Home by William C. Davis.  Interesting tale of those boys from the Bluegrass.

        I could list a lot more, and while these are not essntial reading, they are books I have learned quite a bit from.

        Regards from the Garden State,

        Steve Basic
      • Brian Bennett
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
          Cozzens, Sword, and Bearss.

          basecat1@... wrote:
[...]

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • hank9174
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
            Steve gives a good list of books covering the 'near east' as opposed
            to that skirmish in Penna which is in the 'far east' ;)

            A couple of good books on the war in the west are 'The Devil Knows
            How to Ride', about William Quantrill et al, and 'In Deadly Earnest',
            the 1st Missouri Bbrigade history...

            HankC

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, basecat1@a... wrote:

            > In a message dated 2/3/2005 11:35:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            > billgower@c... writes:
            >
            > What are considered to be the essential books about the CW in the
            West?

            > Bill,
            >
            > Even though I am a notorious fan of that battle in Pennsylvania, I
            have a
            > lot more books on the West than I do on that off topic place here.
            >
            > Here are a few I really liked.
            >
            > Sherman's Horsemen By David Evans. Fine book on the Union Cavalry
            during the
            > Atlanta Campaign.
            >
            > The Pride of the Confederate Artillery: The Washington Artillery in
            the Army
            > of Tennessee by Nathaniel C. Hughes. Fine story of those who
            served with this
            > unit out West.
            >
            > Davis and Lee At War and Jefferson Davis and His Generals:The
            Failure Of
            > Confederate Command In the West By Steven Woodworth. Both books
            delve into the
            > Confederate Strategy in the Western Theater.
            >
            > The Orphan Brigade: The Kentucky Confederates Who Couldn't Go Home
            by William
            > C. Davis. Interesting tale of those boys from the Bluegrass.
            >
            > I could list a lot more, and while these are not essntial reading,
            they are
            > books I have learned quite a bit from.
            >
            > Regards from the Garden State,
            >
            > Steve Basic
          • b_schulte70
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
              Bill,

              These are by no means all "essential", but it is my list of books on
              Western Campaigns, and I try to give a brief review of each. It's at:

              http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWBooks/acwbookswest.htm

              Brett
            • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
                In a message dated 2/3/2005 11:35:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, billgower@... writes:

                What are considered to be the essential books about the CW in the West?

                Bill,
                There are so many.  The works of Wiley Sword, Rich McMurry, Cozzens, Wm. Davis. Rick Hatcher, Marszelak,  Catton, and those that have been mentioned already are great for learning about the war in the West.  One of my favorites is Sherman's Campaigns by Bowman.  This was written in 1865 and can be found for a reasonable price at ABEbooks.com.  I cannot leave without also mentioning Sam Elliott's work, Soldier of Tennessee.  This piece of work brings forth the Confederate side which few writers do.

                JEJ