Re: [civilwarwest] World Talk Radio

  • basecat1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005
      In a message dated 2/3/2005 11:56:23 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, tmix@... writes:

      Steve,

      I have a bunch of board games, many designed by Dave or at least with his input, and play them all solitaire. They are great historical studies of a battle as well as relaxing and fun.

      Tom

      Tom,

      Thanks for the info.  Just wondering what is the cost for the games?

      Regards from the Garden State,

      Steve Basic
    • Tom Mix
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005

        Steve,

        Drop me a note off line and I’ll make some suggestions that you might like. There are some great games out there.

        Tom

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005

          Steve,

          I just sent a note before I read this new one. So, l’ll look at it now here. The prices vary from in the high $20’s to $100.  But most today seem to be in the $35-$45 range.  Key in to Boulder Games and check out their inventory. He sells his at considerably less than many. Another is Homer Games. The Gamers Civil War Brigade is fantastic.  They have games on Franklin, MurfreesboroShiloh, Champion Hill,  Chickamauga, Gettysburg, the 7 Days, Antietam and Bull Run. I may have missed one but I own them all and love them. I saw some of these in the gift centers in the battle field sights. Dave worked n the development of many of those games too but is too modest to say so.  I highly recommend them. But it would be good to try to learn one with a friend.  I did it solo but it took awhile. But it was fine. Shiloh is a good start since it is only a one map game. Champion Hill is another fun game that could be a good one to start with. Gettysburg and some others are 2 map games. There are other good games out there too but this is a start. These area in the $30-40 range and some times less through certain out lets.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005
            In a message dated 2/3/2005 11:49:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tmix@... writes:

[...]

            Thanks for the info., and will take a look at those places when I return from Road Trip this weekend.

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005

              I’ll get the e-Mail addresses to you soon too.

              Tom

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005
                In a message dated 2/4/2005 1:13:47 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, tmix@... writes:

                I’ll get the e-Mail addresses to you soon too.

                Tom

                Tom,

                Thanks, and please do so at your convenience.

                Steve
              • hank9174
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 4, 2005
                  In the 70s there was an outfit in New York called 'Simulation
                  Publications, Inc.' (SPI for short) publishing a bi-monthly magazine,
                  each containing a wargame.

                  Many were later picked up and 'improved' by companies such as Avalon
                  Hill. I suspect they are available on eBay these days.

                  At the time they did a lot of US-Soviet and Middle East 'what-if'
                  scenarios, but also Cedar Mountain, Wilson's Creek and Champion Hill
                  among ACW titles...

                  HankC

                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mix" <tmix@i...> wrote:
                  > Steve,
                  >
                  > I just sent a note before I read this new one. So, l'll look at it
                  now
                  > here. The prices vary from in the high $20's to $100. But most
                  today
                  > seem to be in the $35-$45 range. Key in to Boulder Games and check
                  out
                  > their inventory. He sells his at considerably less than many.
                  Another is
                  > Homer Games. The Gamers Civil War Brigade is fantastic. They have
                  games
                  > on Franklin, Murfreesboro, Shiloh, Champion Hill, Chickamauga,
                  > Gettysburg, the 7 Days, Antietam and Bull Run. I may have missed
                  one but
                  > I own them all and love them. I saw some of these in the gift
                  centers in
                  > the battle field sights. Dave worked n the development of many of
                  those
                  > games too but is too modest to say so. I highly recommend them.
                  But it
                  > would be good to try to learn one with a friend. I did it solo but
                  it
                  > took awhile. But it was fine. Shiloh is a good start since it is
                  only a
                  > one map game. Champion Hill is another fun game that could be a
                  good one
                  > to start with. Gettysburg and some others are 2 map games. There are
                  > other good games out there too but this is a start. These area in
                  the
                  > $30-40 range and some times less through certain out lets.
                  >
                  > Tom

                  si=11&k=board%20games" onmouseover="window.status='board games';
                  return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">board
                  games</a>, many designed by Dave or at least with
                  > his input, and play them all solitaire. They are great historical
                  > studies of a battle as well as relaxing and fun.
                  >
                  > Tom
                  >
                  > Tom,
                  >

                  > Thanks for the info. Just wondering what is the cost for the games?
                  >

                  > Regards from the Garden State,
                  >

                  > Steve Basic
                  >

                  > _____
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  subject=Unsubscribe>

                • CAMPAIGN62@AOL.COM
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 4, 2005
                    IF YOUKNOW OF ANY GOOD GAMES, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS.
                  • James2044
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 4, 2005
                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, CAMPAIGN62@A... wrote:
                      > IF YOUKNOW OF ANY GOOD GAMES, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS.

                      I have all the HPS ACW Campaign PC games and enjoy them. Their is a
                      large active PBEM group on the www or you can play the AI.

                      James2044
                    • b_schulte70
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 4, 2005
                        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, CAMPAIGN62@A... wrote:
                        > IF YOUKNOW OF ANY GOOD GAMES, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS.

                        To elaborate on what James was saying, HPS Simulations
                        (www.hpssims.com) has four current Civil War games out currently,
                        Campaigns Corinth, Ozark, Franklin, and Gettysburg, and two others are
                        well on their way. I've got a fan site for the games at
                        www.brettschulte.net/hps_acw.htm

                        I also just pruchased Battle of Bull Run: Take Command 1861 from Mad
                        Minute Games (www.madminutegames.com). The game looks very moddable
                        and I've already set up a fan site for that game as well at
                        www.brettschulte.net/MMGACW/

                        Other games which I've played in the past and liked are the old
                        Talonsoft Battlground games (the predecessors of the HPS series of
                        games), Sid Meier's Gettysburg & Sid Meier's Antietam, Sumpter to
                        Appomattox by Frank Hunter, and the Civil War scenarios in Age of
                        Rifles. Civil War Generals and CWG2 were ahistoric pieces of crap
                        IMHO. I never got the sense that I was recreating the Civil War in
                        those battles.

                        Brett S.