[civilwarwest] Happy Holidays

  • Karen Hall
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 23, 1999
      I would like to wish all of you a Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year.

      I would like to share with you my favorite Christmas Story:
      During WWI on a battle ground know as Bella Wood soldiers faced eacher in
      trenches. Between these trenches sat no man's land. One Christmas Eve young
      men missing there homelands started singing the Silent Night. The song
      floated over No mans land and into the trenches of the young men from
      America. Not knowing the words but recognizing the tune the Young men
      started singing. . ."All is Calm All is Bright, Round yon Virgin Mother and
      Child, Holy Infant so tender and mild Sleep in Heavenly Oeace Sleep in
      Heavenly Peace." Soon men from both sides of no mans land climbed out of
      thier trenches and met the "enemy" half way. These men exchanged cigerrets,
      newspapers, plaing cards and other things that soldiers tend to carry. As
      Dawn broke over the field the armies moved back into there respective
      trenches and began firing on the men they had just meet. For a few hours on
      a bloody battlefield "All was calm and All was Bright."
      May you and your family know the Joy and Pece of this Holiday Season.

      Karen Hall
      AKA: 54th Mass

      Visit Excite Shopping at http://shopping.excite.com
      The fastest way to find your Holiday gift this season
    • Karen Hall

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 23, 1999
          Karen,
          A similar event happened a few days after Christmas in 1862, on the eve of
          the battle of Stones River.
          A union band struck up the tune "Home Sweet Home". Soon A Confederate band
          joined in. In most of the first hand accounts I have read, It was quite an
          emotional moment for the troops of both sides. After all, as in any war The
          troops were not there because of lofty political ideals. all they wanted was
          for the war to end so they could all go home to friends and family.
          Merry Christmas,
          Steve Charles
          >I would like to wish all of you a Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New
          Year.

          >I would like to share with you my favorite Christmas Story:
          >During WWI on a battle ground know as Bella Wood soldiers faced eacher in
          >trenches. Between these trenches sat no man's land. One Christmas Eve young
          >men missing there homelands started singing the Silent Night. The song
          >floated over No mans land and into the trenches of the young men from
          >America. Not knowing the words but recognizing the tune the Young men
          >started singing. . ."All is Calm All is Bright, Round yon Virgin Mother and
          >Child, Holy Infant so tender and mild Sleep in Heavenly Oeace Sleep in
          >Heavenly Peace." Soon men from both sides of no mans land climbed out of
          >thier trenches and met the "enemy" half way. These men exchanged cigerrets,
          >newspapers, plaing cards and other things that soldiers tend to carry. As
          >Dawn broke over the field the armies moved back into there respective
          >trenches and began firing on the men they had just meet. For a few hours on
          >a bloody battlefield "All was calm and All was Bright."
          >May you and your family know the Joy and Pece of this Holiday Season.
          >
          >Karen Hall
          >AKA: 54th Mass

          >Visit Excite Shopping at http://shopping.excite.com
          > The fastest way to find your Holiday gift this season

          >Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?
          >You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it! Sign
          >up today at X.com. It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
          >http://click.egroups.com/1/332/1/_/14182/_/945960592

          >-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=civilwarwest&m=1

        • Steve Charles

          • MDlongrang@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 23, 1999
              Although not a contributor, as yet, I'd like to wish you all a joyous and
              blessed Christmas. I've learned a good deal from this "round table" and
              learned even more from my brother and sister reenactors. A fine group of
              Americans.

              Mike Discher
              Co. C. 9th Ky.
              Orphan Bde.
            • MDlongrang@aol.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 24, 1999
                  Santa's Workshop Christmas Trees

                  Dear Civil War friends,

                  From the land across the sea may we wish you all a

                  Merry Christmas and a very Happy and Prosperous New Year

                  Allan & Eileen Mitchell
                  (Bootneck & Swimbo)
                • Allan Mitchell