World Talk Radio

  • basecat1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
      Evening all,

      Just finished listening to Dave Powell's interview on World Talk Radio, and really enjoyed the hour.  I especially enjoyed the last segment that dealt with the Battle of Chickamauga, and Dave's comments on the research he has been doing.  I look forward to the article that will be included in the next North and South Magazine.

      As for the gaming aspect, my only foray into this world was the Gettysburg game that came out in 1958, but do remember spending quite a bit of time when I was a kid playing it, or I should say attempting to play it.

      Excellent program Dave, and would have given you an A+, but the mere mention of Curt Schilling brought up a nightmare here from last October, and found this Yankees fan irate once again wondering how we blew that playoff series..:)

      My question here, being clueless in the world of CW games, can these be played by myself, or do you need more players to be involved?

      Thanks for an interesting listen.

      Regards from the Garden State,

      Steve Basic
    • DPowell334@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005
        In a message dated 2/2/2005 11:37:49 PM Central Standard Time, basecat1@... writes:

        Excellent program Dave, and would have given you an A+, but the mere mention of Curt Schilling brought up a nightmare here from last October, and found this Yankees fan irate once again wondering how we blew that playoff series..:)

        My question here, being clueless in the world of CW games, can these be played by myself, or do you need more players to be involved?

        Gotta work in the boss' name somehow:)

        Most CW boardgames can be played solitaire, simply by assuming the roles of both players in turn. There are usually no mechanics like hidden movement (where some pieces are removed from the map until "spotted" by the other side, for example) that would limit solitaire play. Many wargamers play these games solo, in between infrequent meetings with opponents.

        Dave
      • Tom Mix
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005

          Steve,

          I have a bunch of board games, many designed by Dave or at least with his input, and play them all solitaire. They are great historical studies of a battle as well as relaxing and fun.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005
            In a message dated 2/3/2005 9:31:42 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, DPowell334@... writes:
            Gotta work in the boss' name somehow:)

            Most CW boardgames can be played solitaire, simply by assuming the roles of both players in turn. There are usually no mechanics like hidden movement (where some pieces are removed from the map until "spotted" by the other side, for example) that would limit solitaire play. Many wargamers play these games solo, in between infrequent meetings with opponents.

            Dave

            Dave,

            Thanks for the info., and I will check one of these games out eventually.  Sounds interesting, and again, I enjoyed the program very much.

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005
              In a message dated 2/3/2005 11:56:23 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, tmix@... writes:

              Steve,

              I have a bunch of board games, many designed by Dave or at least with his input, and play them all solitaire. They are great historical studies of a battle as well as relaxing and fun.

              Tom

              Tom,

              Thanks for the info.  Just wondering what is the cost for the games?

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005

                Steve,

                Drop me a note off line and I’ll make some suggestions that you might like. There are some great games out there.

                Tom

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005

                  Steve,

                  I just sent a note before I read this new one. So, l’ll look at it now here. The prices vary from in the high $20’s to $100.  But most today seem to be in the $35-$45 range.  Key in to Boulder Games and check out their inventory. He sells his at considerably less than many. Another is Homer Games. The Gamers Civil War Brigade is fantastic.  They have games on Franklin, MurfreesboroShiloh, Champion Hill,  Chickamauga, Gettysburg, the 7 Days, Antietam and Bull Run. I may have missed one but I own them all and love them. I saw some of these in the gift centers in the battle field sights. Dave worked n the development of many of those games too but is too modest to say so.  I highly recommend them. But it would be good to try to learn one with a friend.  I did it solo but it took awhile. But it was fine. Shiloh is a good start since it is only a one map game. Champion Hill is another fun game that could be a good one to start with. Gettysburg and some others are 2 map games. There are other good games out there too but this is a start. These area in the $30-40 range and some times less through certain out lets.

                  Tom

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005
                    In a message dated 2/3/2005 11:49:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tmix@... writes:

[...]

                    Thanks for the info., and will take a look at those places when I return from Road Trip this weekend.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005

                      I’ll get the e-Mail addresses to you soon too.

                      Tom

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 3, 2005
                        In a message dated 2/4/2005 1:13:47 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, tmix@... writes:

                        I’ll get the e-Mail addresses to you soon too.

                        Tom

                        Tom,

                        Thanks, and please do so at your convenience.

                        Steve
                      • hank9174
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 4, 2005
                          In the 70s there was an outfit in New York called 'Simulation
                          Publications, Inc.' (SPI for short) publishing a bi-monthly magazine,
                          each containing a wargame.

                          Many were later picked up and 'improved' by companies such as Avalon
                          Hill. I suspect they are available on eBay these days.

                          At the time they did a lot of US-Soviet and Middle East 'what-if'
                          scenarios, but also Cedar Mountain, Wilson's Creek and Champion Hill
                          among ACW titles...

                          HankC

                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mix" <tmix@i...> wrote:
                          > Steve,
                          >
                          > I just sent a note before I read this new one. So, l'll look at it
                          now
                          > here. The prices vary from in the high $20's to $100. But most
                          today
                          > seem to be in the $35-$45 range. Key in to Boulder Games and check
                          out
                          > their inventory. He sells his at considerably less than many.
                          Another is
                          > Homer Games. The Gamers Civil War Brigade is fantastic. They have
                          games
                          > on Franklin, Murfreesboro, Shiloh, Champion Hill, Chickamauga,
                          > Gettysburg, the 7 Days, Antietam and Bull Run. I may have missed
                          one but
                          > I own them all and love them. I saw some of these in the gift
                          centers in
                          > the battle field sights. Dave worked n the development of many of
                          those
                          > games too but is too modest to say so. I highly recommend them.
                          But it
                          > would be good to try to learn one with a friend. I did it solo but
                          it
                          > took awhile. But it was fine. Shiloh is a good start since it is
                          only a
                          > one map game. Champion Hill is another fun game that could be a
                          good one
                          > to start with. Gettysburg and some others are 2 map games. There are
                          > other good games out there too but this is a start. These area in
                          the
                          > $30-40 range and some times less through certain out lets.
                          >
                          > Tom

                          si=11&k=board%20games" onmouseover="window.status='board games';
                          return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">board
                          games</a>, many designed by Dave or at least with
                          > his input, and play them all solitaire. They are great historical
                          > studies of a battle as well as relaxing and fun.
                          >
                          > Tom
                          >
                          > Tom,
                          >

                          > Thanks for the info. Just wondering what is the cost for the games?
                          >

                          > Regards from the Garden State,
                          >

                          > Steve Basic
                          >

                          > _____
                          >
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          subject=Unsubscribe>

                        • CAMPAIGN62@AOL.COM
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 4, 2005
                            IF YOUKNOW OF ANY GOOD GAMES, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS.
                          • James2044
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 4, 2005
                              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, CAMPAIGN62@A... wrote:
                              > IF YOUKNOW OF ANY GOOD GAMES, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS.

                              I have all the HPS ACW Campaign PC games and enjoy them. Their is a
                              large active PBEM group on the www or you can play the AI.

                              James2044
                            • b_schulte70
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 4, 2005
                                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, CAMPAIGN62@A... wrote:
                                > IF YOUKNOW OF ANY GOOD GAMES, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS.

                                To elaborate on what James was saying, HPS Simulations
                                (www.hpssims.com) has four current Civil War games out currently,
                                Campaigns Corinth, Ozark, Franklin, and Gettysburg, and two others are
                                well on their way. I've got a fan site for the games at
                                www.brettschulte.net/hps_acw.htm

                                I also just pruchased Battle of Bull Run: Take Command 1861 from Mad
                                Minute Games (www.madminutegames.com). The game looks very moddable
                                and I've already set up a fan site for that game as well at
                                www.brettschulte.net/MMGACW/

                                Other games which I've played in the past and liked are the old
                                Talonsoft Battlground games (the predecessors of the HPS series of
                                games), Sid Meier's Gettysburg & Sid Meier's Antietam, Sumpter to
                                Appomattox by Frank Hunter, and the Civil War scenarios in Age of
                                Rifles. Civil War Generals and CWG2 were ahistoric pieces of crap
                                IMHO. I never got the sense that I was recreating the Civil War in
                                those battles.

                                Brett S.