Re: Gen. Earl Van Dorn

  • oneplez
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 24, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "tristan4th" <tristan4th@y...>
      wrote:

      > The reason why I ask:
      > " With his usual verve, Van Dorn plunged into the organization
      > of his new corps. He had no intention of letting this chance for
      fame
      > and glory slip by for lack of preperation or discipline."pg.146 /
      All
      > Afire To Fight- Martha Crabb
      > I've read other "ambitious" qualities...Just wondered if he
      might
      > not had turned out to be another Hood or Forrest in long run??
      > Perhaps an off-the-wall question...My apologies...
      > Sincerely, Lt. McCracken.....
      >
      > In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "tristan4th" <tristan4th@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Any opinions or input on "things might have been different" had
      > Gen.
      > > Van Dorn not been murdered??
      > > Sincerely, Lt.McCracken..

      What;s your problem with Forrest?
    • tristan4th
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 24, 2005
        No problem at all...In fact the man is a personal hero...but I
        wouldn't say that too loud...lol..Why? Are you relative?
        Lt.McCracken

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 24, 2005
          No relation. My ancestors got here after the war. But in all the
          reading I've done not one has rated Forrest as equal to Hood.

          wrote:

          > No problem at all...In fact the man is a personal hero...but I
          > wouldn't say that too loud...lol..Why? Are you relative?
          > Lt.McCracken
          >
          > In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "oneplez" <oneplez@y...> wrote:
          > >

          > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "tristan4th"
          <tristan4th@y...>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > The reason why I ask:
          > > > " With his usual verve, Van Dorn plunged into the
          > organization
          > > > of his new corps. He had no intention of letting this chance
          for
          > > fame
          > > > and glory slip by for lack of preperation or
          discipline."pg.146 /
          > > All
          > > > Afire To Fight- Martha Crabb
          > > > I've read other "ambitious" qualities...Just wondered if he
          > > might
          > > > not had turned out to be another Hood or Forrest in long run??
          > > > Perhaps an off-the-wall question...My apologies...
          > > > Sincerely, Lt. McCracken.....
          > > >
          > > > In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "tristan4th"
          <tristan4th@y...>

          > > > Gen.
          > >
          > > What;s your problem with Forrest?
        • James2044
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 25, 2005
            > One of the things that make me leery of VanDorn was not his wife
            chasing,
            > but that he was not a team player. At Iuka, Price knowing that
            Rosy was
            > marching towards him, ask Van Dorn to join forces with him in
            opposing the oncoming
            > Union forces. (See Cozzen's "No Better Place to Die: The Battle
            of Iuka")
            > and VanDorn refused. History shows then that Price had to
            withdraw from Iuka
            > after Rosy started a flanking movement and thus Price lost the
            battle. A
            > short time later however, VanDorn was asking Price to join him in
            fighting Rosy
            > at Corinth. Of course, he lost at Corinth as well.

            You have your books mixed up; "No Better Place to Die" is Stones
            River, "The Darkest Days of the War" is Iuka & Corinth. Other than
            that you are correct.

            James2044
          • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 25, 2005
              In a message dated 1/25/2005 4:59:10 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, james2044@... writes:
              You have your books mixed up; "No Better Place to Die" is Stones
              River, "The Darkest Days of the War" is Iuka & Corinth.  Other than
              that you are correct.
              Well   I did get the author right.    As one gets older, one's memory is not what it use to be.  Thanks James

              JEJ
            • aot1952
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 25, 2005
                My personal opinion that Van Dorn's continued participation as a CS
                commander would not have meant anything particularly positive
                ignores his apparent personal faults and lack of morality. My review
                of his entire miltary operations up until his death indicates a
                complete lack of understanding and appreciation of attention to
                essential element of logistics in successful miltary operations by
                Van Dorn.
                It is my personal opinion, that he got 'lucky' at Holly Springs and
                was aided considerably by a terrible local garrison commander and
                Grant's continuing tendency to be over confident.
                Who knows I could be all wrong,
                Wakefield
              • Tom Mix
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 25, 2005
                  I may be wrong here but I believe the Lt. was drawing a contrast between
                  a poor commander in Hood and an excellent commander in Forrest. I don't
                  think he was saying they were both equally bad.
                  But I could be wrong.
                  Tom

                  wrote:

                  > No problem at all...In fact the man is a personal hero...but I
                  > wouldn't say that too loud...lol..Why? Are you relative?
                  > Lt.McCracken
                  >
                  > In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "oneplez" <oneplez@y...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "tristan4th"
                  <tristan4th@y...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > The reason why I ask:
                  > > > " With his usual verve, Van Dorn plunged into the
                  > organization
                  > > > of his new corps. He had no intention of letting this chance
                  for
                  > > fame
                  > > > and glory slip by for lack of preperation or
                  discipline."pg.146 /
                  > > All
                  > > > Afire To Fight- Martha Crabb
                  > > > I've read other "ambitious" qualities...Just wondered if he
                  > > might
                  > > > not had turned out to be another Hood or Forrest in long run??
                  > > > Perhaps an off-the-wall question...My apologies...
                  > > > Sincerely, Lt. McCracken.....
                  > > >
                  > > > In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "tristan4th"
                  <tristan4th@y...>

                  > > > Gen.