Re: Frontal Assault Failures

  • oneplez
    Message 1 of 46 , Jan 24, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Travis Faust <wiscav62@y...>
      wrote:

      > The best thing that could have happened to Hood is if his strap
      > would have come loose and his horse trampled him.
      >

      > hello everyone-
      >
      > i am 17 years old and a huge civil war buff and am a newer member
      of the group and have been following with interest the discussions
      that have taken place. I would just like to briefly say my opinion
      that, while the above statement is sad, and i truly feel sorry for
      Hood and his terrible injuries, it probably is correct. This was
      the best thing that could have happened for the CSA. Hood
      slaughtered his army-and even during the battle when aides came to
      tell him that his army was being decimated, he ignored the reports
      and continued the assault. Also, the statement made that the loss of
      PR Cleburne was enough to make Franklin a defeat for the CSA is true
      also in my opinion. It was at Franklin that the Army of Tennessee
      ultimately met its end, although they still would go on to Nashville
      and the Carolinas. Their fighting spirit was all but gone. IMHO,
      Franklin was one of the most destructive battles of the war,one that
      sealed the fate of the confederacy.

      > Travis

      > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • oneplez