[civilwarwest] Civil War Chat Room

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 15, 1999
      Good Evening Fellow Civil War Buffs,

      I hope you will excuse me for breaking my own rule about posting something that is not related to the Civil War in the West, but this is the only way I know to reach all concerned by just punching a key.

      As some of you may not know, this group is composed of members of a Civil War Chatroom, people who have joined as a result of visiting my website (thank you very much) and some who just may have found the link on the Internet.  This part of the message is just for those that are in the chatroom everyday. As most of you have found out by now the room is not working. Right now, I have no idea why and am reluctant to email WebAmerica for fear they may take it down altogether. If you remember they did that once before. However, the upside of the story is that it is not just the chatroom that is down. Their entire webamerica.com server is down. So, in that light, I have to believe that they are not going to leave it down for long.  The way you can tell if it the room that has problems or if it is WebAmerica that has problems is  if, when trying to access the room, you get a "not responding" message, this means the server is down. However, if you get the dreaded "Error 404" this means the room itself has problems, which is generally bad news. As most of you know from the email today, there has been a work around implemented. This will be in effect until the room comes back up.

      Now, for you folks that haven't the slightest idea what I am talking about, let me try to explain. We have a very unique chatroom out here on the Internet that is dedicated to American Civil War Discussions. We have authors, teachers, students, and just plain ole buffs like me that frequent the room daily just to get our "Civil War Fix". It is truly the Civil War School House of the Internet. The chatroom is maintained by WebAmerica out of Atlanta, not by me and I won't bother to go into all the problems we have had over the years.  Just suffice it to say they have been kind enough to provide the service for us. However, right now the thing is down, thus this email.  If any of you might be interested in joining us when the room  comes back up, just drop me a line and I will be glad to tell you all about it and how to get to it. I had the "back door" link on my website until we started getting some young kids coming in there and disrupting things with foul language and rude pictures (neither of which we allow by the way).  I figured they had to be coming in through my website so I took the link down. I was right because we have been bothered very little since.

      Sorry I have taken up the time and space for those that this doesn't affect, but it was the only way I know how to get in touch with most all of our members.  Remember, if you really want to discuss the war with some folks that know an awful lot about it, come on over and join us. Drop me a line. Thanks for your time.

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
    • Dick Weeks