Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Bragg's HQ

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 16, 2005
      Hello, I am posting this to the group as an update of the forthcoming March event at Chickamauga:

      Dave Powell

      CCNMP Study Group 2005 Seminar in the Woods.

      Mission Statement: The purpose of the CCNMP Study Group is to create a forum to bring students of the American Civil War together to study and explore those events in the fall of 1863 that led ultimately to the creation of the Chickamauga-Chattanooga National Military Park. The intent is to use the indispensable resource of the park itself as an outdoor classroom to promote learning and study of the battles for Chattanooga, and to build interest for an annual gathering that will in time examine all aspects of the Campaigns for Chattanooga. Additionally, we hope to bring students and serious scholars, both professional and amateur, to the field for to share insights and knowledge about the battles.

      2005 Theme: Battle of Chickamauga, September 19th and 20th, 1863, and critical turning points during that battle.

      Date: Friday, March 11, and Saturday, March 12, 2005.

      Schedule:

      Friday Morning: 8:30 a.m.  to Noon. "The Battle Widens."
      An exploration of the fighting around Brock Field, September 19th, midday. On the Confederate side, Cheatham’s  and A.P. Stewart’s Divisions are the major participants. For the Federals, Johnson and Palmer Represent the major combatants.

      Friday Afternoon: 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. "The Union center ruptured."
      An examination of the collapse in the Union line around Brotherton Field on September 19th, examining the success of A.P. Stewart and Bushrod Johnson’s Rebel divisions in disrupting and penetrating the Union line between Brotherton and Viniard Fields. Union combatants include elements of Reynolds, Wood, and Van Cleve’s divisions. Brief discussion of the Union troops moved into the Brotherton Field area at the end of the day, including Negley, Brannan, and Baird.

      Saturday Morning: 8:30 a.m. to Noon. "The Fateful Order of the Day."
      A detailed examination of Longstreet’s actual breakthrough. This walk will focus on the Union initial deployment, the flanks of the gap, the response of Davis’ Federal Division, and the retreat of Union line in Poe Field. Heg and Carlin’s Brigades of Davis will be highlighted, as well actions of regiments like the 105th Ohio and 82nd Indiana.

      Saturday Afternoon: 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. "Horseshoe Ridge."
      Tours and terrain walks inevitably finish up on Horseshoe Ridge, and just as inevitably, everyone is too tired to spend that much time on the actual fight there. Here, we will devote the afternoon to the fight itself, from Harker’s retreat, the rally on Hill One, the arrival of Steadman, and the final withdrawal.

      Cost: There is no cost for tour participation. Meals lodging, transportation, and incidentals, however, are the individual’s responsibility.

      Tour Departures: All tours will meet at the Chickamauga Visitor’s Center at the designated start time, and  depart from the Visitor’s Center. We will car caravan to the designated area, and from there, we will be on foot. We will be on foot for up to three hours, so dress and prepare accordingly. Tours will depart rain or shine. Participants are responsible for their own transportation, and should plan accordingly. All tours are designed to be self-contained, so participants who cannot attend the full schedule are still welcome for any tours they can attend.

      Lodging and Meals: Everyone is responsible for their own lodging and meals. There are many hotels in the greater Chattanooga area, for any price range. The closest are in Fort Olgethorpe, Georgia, with the least expensive in Ringgold. Each tour is designed to leave at least 1 hour for lunch, and there are several family and fast food restaurants within minutes of the battlefield.

      What to bring: Each tour will involve extensive walking. Proper clothing and especially footgear is essential. Dress in layers, wear sturdy, broken-in walking shoes or boots, and be prepared for some rain, just in case, as Spring can be quite wet in North Georgia. We will be walking on dirt and gravel trails, uncut fields, and through stretches of woods. The ground will be wet and muddy in places. Plan on bringing your own water and snacks.

      Reading up on the subject: Many people like to prepare in advance for these kinds of events. I suggest the following works might be of help.

      Cozzens, Peter. This Terrible Sound. University of Illinois, 1992. The best modern study of the battle.

      Woodworth, Stephen E. Six Armies In Tennessee: The Chickamauga And Chattanooga Campaigns. Lincoln, Nebraska. University of Nebraska Press, 1998. An excellent overview campaign study.

      -------------------, A Deep Steady Thunder: The Battle Of Chickamauga. Abilene, Texas. McWhiney Foundation Press, 1998. Concise but very useful account of the battle, designed as an introduction to the action. 100 pages, very readable.

      Elliott, Sam Davis. Soldier Of Tennessee: General Alexander P. Stewart and the Civil War in the West. Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Louisiana State University Press, 1999. Very useful for the account of Stewart’s Division in the tours we will be covering.

      Patrick Brennan, "Hell on Horseshoe Ridge" North & South, vol. 7, no. 2 (March 2004). A recent examination of the overall fighting on Horseshoe Ridge.