Citations, again

  • Laurence D. Schiller
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2005
      At 7:58 PM +0000 1/2/05, civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      >Dr. Shiller,
      >
      >I wonder if you would discuss the issue that so many citations are
      >simply other second hand sources. Unless the source is first hand,
      >it seems to me that, often, we see a fact that is not general
      >knowledge, and the citation is just another second hand source. Is
      >the real purpose here just to make sure that the writer did not make
      >up or plagarize the fact s/he is using? Or is the purpose to verify
      >the truth of the cited statement?
      >
      >Incidentally, I was pleased to here your explanation. That is
      >exactly what we teach our students in my school.
      >
      >Ron Wright

      Greetings Ron - and BTW, feel free to call me Laurie - Dr. is so
      formal and this is an informal group. Your question is a bit
      complicated. If we are talking term papers, then we want to make sure
      the student understands how to use sources and is, indeed, not
      plagiarizing. So, we want secondary and primary sources cited. If I
      am writing the article, I cite a secondary source only if 1) it is a
      quote or their idea I am using, or 2) I haven't looked up the primary
      source and I am relying on their work. So it depends on what we are
      talking about here. To a degree it is a judgement call. Plagiarizing
      is a more complicated issue, as the recent stuff with Ambrose makes
      clear. Hope that helps.

      Best,

      Laurie Schiller
      --
      Dr. Laurence Dana Schiller Civil War First Person Impressions
      Maitre d'Armes William Bradshaw, Co. F 2nd WI