Beauregard

  • civilwarlady@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
      Some years back I recall reading that Beauregard had devised
      an "anaconda plan" of his own which was suppose to entail Confederate
      Forces driving up the Ohio River and following the Ohio - PA line
      thru to Lake Erie. Has anyone ever seen any details of this plan or
      know of a source that discusses it at length? Was this plan ever
      actually proposed? This has always facinated me....had it gone as
      planned, it'd have brought the Rebs right through my area.
      Anyone have any knowledge of this plan??

      Thanks,
      Anne
    • DPowell334@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
        In a message dated 1/2/2005 3:53:26 PM Central Standard Time, civilwarlady@... writes:

        Some years back I recall reading that Beauregard had devised
        an "anaconda plan" of his own which was suppose to entail Confederate
        Forces driving up the Ohio River and following the Ohio - PA line
        thru to Lake Erie. Has anyone ever seen any details of this plan or
        know of a source that discusses it at length? Was this plan ever
        actually proposed?  This has always facinated me....had it gone as
        planned, it'd have brought the Rebs right through my area.
        Anyone have any knowledge of this plan??

        Thanks,
        Anne

        Beauregard was a great schemer. This sounds similar to the Stonewall Jackson stuff about cutting the US rail and canal connections in Western PA in one of the invasions of the north that were sometimes discussed.

        I think that these were pipedreams, rather than plans, as they lacked operational details about how to actually acheive such goals.

        There are telegrams from Buearegard to various ACW commanders proposing such movements, but only in the vaguest detail - usually plans are nothing more than 'I will send you 20,000 men, then we defeat Rosecrans, take back Tennessee, and on to Ohio, Huzzah!!' not exactly the meat of detailed planning:)

        The nearest we get to an actual plan is the one Buearegard proposed to Joe Johnston in early July, while Lee was in PA. Beuaregard, commenting on the uselessness of Lee's "raid" suggested to Johnston that troops from his department and Johnston's Army of Relief in Mississippi move quickly to join Bragg, so that the combined CSA army of about 80,000-90,000 men attack and destroy Rosecrans' Army of the Cumberland. While not a plan, per se, Beauregard blueprinted the method by which Bragg was eventually reinforced to fight Chickamauga, and provided what proved to be pretty realistic troop estimates.

        Dave Powell
      • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
          In a message dated 1/2/2005 4:53:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, civilwarlady@... writes:
          Some years back I recall reading that Beauregard had devised
          an "anaconda plan" of his own which was suppose to entail Confederate
          Forces driving up the Ohio River and following the Ohio - PA line
          thru to Lake Erie. Has anyone ever seen any details of this plan or
          know of a source that discusses it at length? Was this plan ever
          actually proposed?  This has always facinated me....had it gone as
          planned, it'd have brought the Rebs right through my area.
          Anyone have any knowledge of this plan??
          Back in my memory cells, it seems that I have heard of this before as well.

          JEJ
        • virginia_cajun
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005

            Beauregard's plan should be summarized in either Stephen
            Woodworth's "Davis and His Generals" or Tom Connelly's two-volume
            history of the Army of the Tennessee.

            Art Bergeron
          • civilwarlady@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005