Re: [civilwarwest] Re: The Chickamauga gap

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 2, 2005
      In a message dated 1/2/2005 6:15:48 AM Central Standard Time, Jfepperson@... writes:

      Isn't there a version of the story in which someone hears Wood say, "Gentlemen,
      I hold the fateful order of the day and I would not part with it for ..."?

      As Harry pointed out, I discussed this in a previous post. The first part ("Fateful order of the day") is indeed something Wood may well have said, since it was being quoted as soon as a week or so after the battle.

      The second part, however ("I would not part with it for five thousand dollars.") seems to be language added much later, in the 1930s, as an embellishment.

      Dave Powell