Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Prof vs Amateur HIstorians

  • LWhite64@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
      Well, beyond training etc, I think one thing that gives Profesional Historians an advantage is their time to be able to do reserach, as well as being able to access sources more easily than a layman.

      Lee
    • Jfepperson@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
        In a message dated 1/1/2005 5:27:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, civilwarlady@... writes:
        Thank you Dr. Schiller. You are the first professional historian I
        have encountered who is willing to concede that there are
        competent "amatuers"!
        =====
        With all due respect, Anne, I am not sure this is true.  If memory serves
        (and I think I have recovered from last night enough to trust my memory ;-)
        you have participated in a discussion with another widely published
        professional historian who has acknowledged contributions by a
        number of amateurs.

        JFE
      • civilwarlady@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
          Thank you Dr. Epperson. Perhaps I have...but perhaps they were not as
          convincing as Dr. Schiller? :^)

          Anne

        • DPowell334@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
            In a message dated 1/1/2005 4:57:17 PM Central Standard Time, LWhite64@... writes:

            Well, beyond training etc, I think one thing that gives Profesional Historians an advantage is their time to be able to do reserach, as well as being able to access sources more easily than a layman.

            Amen.

            I work my poor public Libarians to death at the ILL desk, and they are very successful, but it is often costly to get materials loaned to a non-academic institution. I do a lot of traveling to various institutions, all of which has to fit around my day job.

            Dave Powell