Davis and the west

  • Laurence D. Schiller
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      Happy New Year all:

      Bill - I think you are right on. Of course,
      Richmond was close and easily threatened, but
      Davis never struck me as overly deep in his
      understanding of the overall situation. On the
      other hand, I have always been of the opinion
      that if the North chose to fight, the Confederacy
      had little chance of winning. With a much smaller
      population, it was going to be hard to defend all
      that western territory. I'm not sure that Lee or
      anyone else could have succeeded in the West
      given the North's resources, will to fight, and
      vastness of the territory to defend.

      Best,

      Laurie Schiller

      --
      Dr. Laurence Dana Schiller Civil War First Person Impressions
      Maitre d'Armes William Bradshaw, Co. F 2nd WI