Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Re: Books

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 69 , Jan 1, 2005
      In a message dated 1/1/2005 10:39:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, hjs21@... writes:

      Yes, absolutely necessary.  Because so much of what is accepted as fact is, in fact, not.

      HArry

      Thus Harry, we use a text that is accepted as fact because of the footnotes, even though the footnotes were taken out of context, or had not reference to the statement in the first place, or was there was an obscure resemblance to the statement written.

       Another example is that I could give you a reference, say from Grants Campaigns of the War.  That book was published in 1865 and how many of you have a copy of that to see if the reference was true or not, or willing to go to ABE to purchase a copy just to see if the reference was there.  Case in point. How many of you out there have a copy of Hanson's "Civil War" or Bowen's "Sherman's Campaigns of the War."

      JEJ
    • Bob Taubman
      Message 69 of 69 , Dec 17, 2010
        I really liked Sherman's Horsemen, by Evans along with those you have mentioned.  Castel's Decision in the West is an excellent read as is Embrace an Angry Wind, The Confederacy's Last Hurrah:  Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville by Wiley Sword.