Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Books

  • Steve Saultz
    Message 1 of 69 , Jan 1, 2005
      Thankyou!

      civilwarlady@... wrote:

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Steve Saultz <tristan4th@y...>
      wrote:
      > I apologize for lighting a fuse on this subject to begin with..But
      for another real quick input... I loaned the book out, so I can't
      cite author who edited & put it together,but I've
      read, "Conversations With Shelby Foote", (anybody got it?), Great
      book on him...Mr. Foote says,"... no historical character says or
      does anything except what I have accurate evidence of his having said
      or done. That not only applies to the historical characters, but to
      fictional ones. For example, when a fictional character is put into a
      unit, what happens to that unit really did happen."page5
      >    "...The best historical reading is sourse material...the writing
      of people who saw it..."page27....

      > In the last couple of days, losing miserably in debates, lol..,
      I've come to the conclusion that my notes/citings suck eggs...Two
      years of reading..& I've spun my wheels..I personally would like to
      ask members how or what manner  they log or keep notes on their reads
      & findings??? Don't mean to interrupt "study" with dumbass
      question..Just would be very helpful for me personally & perhaps
      others like myself just starting out...
      >      Thanx!  Happy New Years To All!!! ( Even you
      Yanks!!)..lol..Peace!!
      >             Sincerely Your Humble Servant,
      >                  2nd Lt. Partisan Ranger
      >                          S.Saultz

      Steve,
      I happen to have a weird memory and can remember oddball pieces of
      information and where I found them...must be the librarian in me...
      I am surrounded by books, books, books, and files in my little office
      here at home...so my "sources" are usually within reach. Things that
      I study more in depth...like local soldiers...I have a filing cabinet
      filled with little bits of what probably is useless information!!!
      I also have word .doc's with "notes" and references to some things.
      But again...that is usually when it pertains to something for my
      manuscript or of local interest. The more you read, the more
      conclusions who will accept and those things sort of go by the
      wayside as you study new ideas...but they're always there for you to
      refer to.

      Anne

      > Harry Smeltzer <hjs21@c...> wrote:
      >
      > Yes, absolutely necessary.  Because so much of what is accepted as
      fact is, in fact, not.

      > HArry

      to document each and every detail on well known battles.  I salute
      those writers that have done so for I know it is laborious to
      document each and everything, but is it really necessary.

      > JEJ

      Service.

    • Bob Taubman
      Message 69 of 69 , Dec 17, 2010
        I really liked Sherman's Horsemen, by Evans along with those you have mentioned.  Castel's Decision in the West is an excellent read as is Embrace an Angry Wind, The Confederacy's Last Hurrah:  Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville by Wiley Sword.