Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Re: Books

  • Steve Saultz
    Message 1 of 69 , Jan 1, 2005
      Yes...Total agreement with you on, "Narratives" are definately good source to tell one direction to head...He covers a broad field; both theaters...
        Happy new Years!
        Your Humble Servant, 2nd Lt. Partisan Ranger
                                                Steve

      Dick Weeks <shotgun@...> wrote:
      JEJ, I would think whether it is really necessary to document every thing in the book all depends on what the reader is expecting.  I read both kinds myself.  Heck, I subscribe to the Civil War Times (Illustrated) and that certainly does not have footnotes/endnotes.  However, I must admit because of my website, I answer a lot of questions on the Civil War on a daily basis, I do not reference any book/magazine that does not tell me where the information came from.  Back in the middle 90's when I first started my website I had not thought that much about whether a book was well documented or not.  Not being a professional historian I just read for pleasure.  However, with the advent of the Internet and books/documents on CD and having to answer a lot of questions on the Civil War I have greatly changed my reading habits and that may not be all good.  Now I have my books divided into two categories, (1) Bedside reader.  Those are the ones that do not have footnotes/endnotes and can be read without any reference to outside documentation (i.e. Shelby Foote, Jeff Shaara, Michael Shaara, Civil War Times, etc.) and I can read them at my lesiure.  (2) Library Reader.  Those that have footnotes/endnotes and require me to either take notes for later reference or look the dang thing up right then.  By the way, I only look up those areas that appear somewhat questionable to me.  The others I just take their word for it.  Needless to say I do not get as much reading done as I used to :-)  Bear in mind, that my #2 will only work if you have a good Civil War Library.  If you do not have one, you can just make sure that the book has footnotes/endnotes and hope the author has done his/her homework.

      By the way, I am a huge fan of Shelby Foote, but I do not use his work as reference.  Rather I use it as a learning tool to point me in the direction I need to go.

      You folks have a GREAT NEW YEAR!!

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      http://www.civilwarhome.com
      Message 69 of 69 , Dec 17, 2010
        I really liked Sherman's Horsemen, by Evans along with those you have mentioned.  Castel's Decision in the West is an excellent read as is Embrace an Angry Wind, The Confederacy's Last Hurrah:  Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville by Wiley Sword.