Re: Books

  • civilwarlady@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 69 , Jan 1, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "aot1952" <aot1952@y...> wrote:

      > "Wonder how much attention was given to Foote's work in the 25
      > years or so BEFORE the Burns film?"
      >
      > Well,The Civil War: A Narrative, published in three volumes between
      > 1958 and 1974, was hailed by critics and historians as a unique
      > masterpiece. It is now in its 20th printing. I am pretty sure that
      > the first 15 of those printings occurred BEFORE the Burns series.
      > Now these are the hard cover printings not the soft cover one that
      > became very popular after the Burns series.
      > Also before anyone had ever heard of Ken Burns, Foote had been
      > awarded a Guttenberg Award for the first volume and had been
      > nominated for a Pulitizer Prize in history.
      > Plenty of Civil War nuts, students and scholars knew all about
      > Shelby Foote before 'popular' America discovered him though the
      > Burns series.
      > No offense intended at all to anyone but for some of us wackos that
      > have been Civil War buffs since the 1950s and reenactors in the 60s
      > and 70s it is always interesting for us to hear how the Ken Burns
      > series started 'popular' American interest the Civil War.
      > As far as the relatively new emphasis on social, economic, gender,
      > racial and other 'speciality' historical discipline I am not sure
      > exactly what to think about it but I do know that is certainly a
      > subject for another forum.
      >
      > Regards-
      > Wakefield

      Thank you for the information. I guess I had never really considered
      the issue before. I know I read Foote in the early 1980's. Perhaps
      the better way to look at it would be how much criticism it has
      received SINCE Burns. I don't believe I stated that Burns started
      popular interest in the war. I believe it renewed interest in many
      people who were seeing history presented in a totally new way and
      also won some new converts. As you say, not all of us wackos have
      been in action for 30+ years!!

      Specialty history. An interesting and I think appropriate title.
      Although I don't know how you can talk about the history of the war
      without taking into consideration this new approach; whether you
      agree with it or not. I had no intention of upsetting the apple cart
      and introducing a forbidden discussion. I was simply stating that the
      interpretation of history is ever changing.

      Anne
    • Bob Taubman
      Message 69 of 69 , Dec 17, 2010
        I really liked Sherman's Horsemen, by Evans along with those you have mentioned.  Castel's Decision in the West is an excellent read as is Embrace an Angry Wind, The Confederacy's Last Hurrah:  Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville by Wiley Sword.