Re: Books

  • aot1952
    Message 1 of 69 , Jan 1, 2005
      "Wonder how much attention was given to Foote's work in the 25
      years or so BEFORE the Burns film?"

      Well,The Civil War: A Narrative, published in three volumes between
      1958 and 1974, was hailed by critics and historians as a unique
      masterpiece. It is now in its 20th printing. I am pretty sure that
      the first 15 of those printings occurred BEFORE the Burns series.
      Now these are the hard cover printings not the soft cover one that
      became very popular after the Burns series.
      Also before anyone had ever heard of Ken Burns, Foote had been
      awarded a Guttenberg Award for the first volume and had been
      nominated for a Pulitizer Prize in history.
      Plenty of Civil War nuts, students and scholars knew all about
      Shelby Foote before 'popular' America discovered him though the
      Burns series.
      No offense intended at all to anyone but for some of us wackos that
      have been Civil War buffs since the 1950s and reenactors in the 60s
      and 70s it is always interesting for us to hear how the Ken Burns
      series started 'popular' American interest the Civil War.
      As far as the relatively new emphasis on social, economic, gender,
      racial and other 'speciality' historical discipline I am not sure
      exactly what to think about it but I do know that is certainly a
      subject for another forum.

      Regards-
      Wakefield
    • Bob Taubman
      Message 69 of 69 , Dec 17, 2010
        I really liked Sherman's Horsemen, by Evans along with those you have mentioned.  Castel's Decision in the West is an excellent read as is Embrace an Angry Wind, The Confederacy's Last Hurrah:  Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville by Wiley Sword.