Re: Books

  • civilwarlady@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 69 , Jan 1, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@c...>
      wrote:
      > Yes, absolutely necessary. Because so much of what is accepted as
      fact is,
      > in fact, not.
      >
      > HArry

      Harry I agree with your statement, but there has to be a point where
      something is accepted as fact...otherwise you'd have a footnote for
      every sentence in the book or it could be challenged. And how does
      one determine whether a particular piece of information is "accepted
      as fact" or not? Accepted by whom? Accepted in academic circles?
      Accepted by the general population? I think that it would get to a
      point where books wouldn't be books, they'd be blueprints for
      repeating someone's research step by step. Now if I were writing an
      academic text, I may well want to do exactly that. But if I am
      reading something like that? My patience would soon give way.
      Again, I truly believe it has a lot to do with the intended
      audience...and I am not so sure that to be a Civil War enthusiast,
      one has to have read a required number of texts and investigated
      every claim that particular author has made. You know when you are
      reading something whether or not a claim rings true. If you're not
      sure, you can search for reliable sources to prove or disprove the
      assertion. If it's a claim you've not heard before...natually you
      will investigate it. For example, I am reading
      Coddington's "Gettysburg Campaign". Within the first 10 pages, he
      quotes a Lee staffer as writing that Gettysburg was the intended
      military objective before the campaign even started. Coddington does
      not dispute it, but I have never seen anywhere else it suggested that
      Lee planned on fighting at Gettysburg before beginning the invasion.
      For me to buyn into that theory, I'd have to find some real
      convincing evidence and I've never seen it asserted anywhere else.
      Logic tells me that if I duplicate Coddington's research on this
      point, I will draw the same conclusion; yet I know that conclusion is
      faulty.

      Sometimes a book is just a book!! lol!

      Anne

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296gumsh/M=298184.5639630.6699735.300117
      6/D=gr

      oups/S=1705126278:HM/EXP=1104627861/A=2495202/R=0/SIG=11evjk50a/*http:
      /www.n
      > etflix.com/Default?mqso=60188913> click here
      >

      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=
      > :HM/A=2495202/rand=305790689>
      >

      > _____
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      subject=Unsubscribe>

    • Bob Taubman
      Message 69 of 69 , Dec 17, 2010
        I really liked Sherman's Horsemen, by Evans along with those you have mentioned.  Castel's Decision in the West is an excellent read as is Embrace an Angry Wind, The Confederacy's Last Hurrah:  Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville by Wiley Sword.