Re: Books

  • civilwarlady@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 69 , Jan 1, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DPowell334@A... wrote:
      > In a message dated 12/31/2004 9:08:47 PM Central Standard Time,
      > civilwarlady@y... writes:
      >

      > > I think sometimes people get too caught up in this "professional
      > > historian" versus "historian" or "Authority". The purpose of a
      > > professional historian is vastly different than that of a local
      > > historian or an "expert" in a certain aspect of the war, or
      > > an "amatuer". And to me, all of them have something of great
      value

      > I dont thing the whole question is merely one of semantics,
      however. Foote's
      > trilogy is outstanding - fun to read, as well.
      >
      > However, his reliance on secondary sources means that he repeats
      dozens of
      > errors, and that there are many things in his books that are not
      true. For
      > example, Foote states that Buford's Cavalry carried repeating
      rifles at Gettysburg,
      > which is why they held off the Confederates on July 1. This is a
      myth, but
      > because Foote states it, it gets lots of attention and gets
      repeated often.

      > Foote relied on a previous popular account of the action for that
      > information. Had he worked with primary sources (say, the ordnance
      returns) he would have
      > discovered that this story isn't true.
      >
      > This is why Foote's work is not regularly cited - it contains
      inaccuracies.
      > And without footnotes, the reader has no idea where a particular
      statement came
      > from, or how to verify it. People are not simply being snobs.
      >
      > This doesn't detract from the value of Foote's work as a popular
      history, but
      > it does very much limit it's usefulness for serious research.
      >
      > Dave Powell

      I don't disagree with you, Dave. I believe it is aimed at a different
      audience, that's all. If Foote gets someones interest and they begin
      to explore the literature, they will soon see for themselves that
      everything written about the war is not so cut and dry. Like the
      Burns film, I think it is a great tool to captivate someone's
      interest in the war. Foote's is a popular history. I believe as a
      non-historian and someone who had never previously written non-
      fiction historical material, Foote did an outstanding job. You and I
      and all of us are aware of the problems in the work, but the ability
      to capture a new audience is what makes it so valuable. I got hooked
      on the Civil War when I was 6 years old. My folks gave me a National
      Geographic book about the Civil War. I still have it! It's one of the
      thinner books on my shelf, but it was enough to get me started in a
      life long learning experience.

      Happy New Year!
      Anne
    • Bob Taubman
      Message 69 of 69 , Dec 17, 2010
        I really liked Sherman's Horsemen, by Evans along with those you have mentioned.  Castel's Decision in the West is an excellent read as is Embrace an Angry Wind, The Confederacy's Last Hurrah:  Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville by Wiley Sword.