Pioneer Brigade

  • Phil & Kathi Stewart
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2004
      Hello, All!
      I'm hoping the group can help me answer a question about the Civil War service of one of my ancestors.  I recently received the service record of my great-grandfather, George W. Hawk, who served with the 55th Ohio Infantry and was with Howard's Corps when they became part of Sherman's army at Chattanooga.  These records provided a GREAT deal of information, but (as usual) raised a couple of questions.  I'm having trouble answering one of them, so thought I would ask you folks.  Here ya go:

      His service record states that he was detached to the Pioneer Brigade from August, 1864 to June, 1865.  I have found information on the Pioneer Brigade, but most sources say it was disbanded around May of 1864.  My question is..."Huh??"  I know that several members of the Pioneers became part of the 1st Veteran Engineers.  Would the references in his records to service in the Pioneer Brigade mean he was with the 1st Engineers?  Were they simply using a term they were familiar with?

      Also, were these men physically separated from their units while with the Engineers?

      Any help, references or ideas you can give would be appreciated.

      Take care!
      Phil Stewart
      Bethany, Missouri

    • spprod64424
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2005
        Hi!
        I'm new to the group and may not be doing this right, so please bear
        with me! LOL

        While researching one of my ancestors, I found in his records that he
        was assigned to the "Brigade Pioneers" from the end of Oct, 1863 when
        he arrived in Chattanooga, till the spring of 1865. He was a member
        of the 55th Ohio Infantry and was among the Hooker's Corps that was
        sent from the east.

        I have found limited information on the Pioneers and have several
        questions. Hope someone can help!

        Did these men still travel with their original regiments or did they
        become independent.
        Were their activities documented in any way?
        Who commanded the Pioneers, and were they really a "Brigade"?

        Any help GREATLY appreciated! Feel free to contact me directly at
        JJHist@....

        Take care and have fun!
        Phil
      • Tony Gunter
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2005
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "spprod64424" <JJHist@g...>
          wrote:

          > Hi!
          > I'm new to the group and may not be doing this right, so please
          bear
          > with me! LOL
          >
          > While researching one of my ancestors, I found in his records that
          he
          > was assigned to the "Brigade Pioneers" from the end of Oct, 1863
          when
          > he arrived in Chattanooga, till the spring of 1865. He was a
          member
          > of the 55th Ohio Infantry and was among the Hooker's Corps that was
          > sent from the east.
          >
          > I have found limited information on the Pioneers and have several
          > questions. Hope someone can help!
          >
          > Did these men still travel with their original regiments or did
          they
          > become independent.
          > Were their activities documented in any way?
          > Who commanded the Pioneers, and were they really a "Brigade"?

          I'm curious about this also. During the Battle of Raymond,
          McPherson's pioneer regiment jumped into the fray. They apparently
          had their own regimental flag, because Colonel Turner reported seeing
          them moving against his flank at the end of the battle, after they
          apparently pulled the 7th Missouri Infantry's fat from the fire.
        • hank9174
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 2005
            My general recollection is that a small handful of men in each
            company is assigned 'pioneer' duty. When the need arises, they stack
            arms and shoulder axes, saws, shovels and other implements.

            2 men from each company give you 20 from each regiment and that
            multiplied by the number of regiments form the brigade's pioneer
            corps. 100 men can do a lot of manual labor.

            Pionees typically improved roads and entrenchments. Sometimes they
            provided cloase support, to help cut away abatis after the first wave
            of shock troops.

            At first it's considered an elite posting, but some COs learn it's
            also a way to get rid of sad sacks...

            HankC

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@y...>