[civilwarwest] west/east

  • Mark Wiggin
    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 22, 1999
      To all,
      I've been reading a lot about the what ifs concerning General Lee. What
      if he had gone west? What if he had faced Grant sooner with Sherman,
      Thomas, McPherson, & Sheridan as his immediate subordinates? I'm not so
      sure the results would have been different in the end. Maybe sooner
      considering Lee's habit of attack. Also lets not sell Grant short. The
      siege of Vicksburg was only about 2 months, short as sieges go
      historically. What proceeded the siege was brilliant from crossing his
      army below Vicksburg and the battles that drove Pemberton into his
      trenches & Joe Johnston away.
      Here is a what if a little different than the typical CSA only what ifs
      i.e.. if Stonewall had lived or had Lee went west. What if Grant went
      east instead of Pope in 1862? What if Grant hadn't fallen into Pope's
      trap at 2nd Manassas? What if Grant was at Sharpsburg and not Lil' Mac?

      Just a little food for thought.
      Respectfully submitted
      Mark Wiggin
    • michael.d.cantor@us.arthurandersen.com
      Message 34 of 34 , Dec 8, 1999
        That is a very good book and really provides some insight into the squabbling in
        the West.

        Another good one which I strongly recommend is "The Destructive War" by Charles
        Royster. The purpose of this book is to compare the tactics, strategy, and
        thinking of Thomas Jackson in the East and Cump Sherman in the West to
        demonstrate that they were BOTH true precursors to the total war generals of the
        20th centuries. Through Royster's extensive analysis, you might gain some
        insight into the East vs. West question.

        Hope this helps!

        Take care,
        Mike Cantor

        To: civilwarwest@egroups.com
        cc: (bcc: Michael D. Cantor)
        Date: 12/08/99 02:11 PM
        From: thecoys@...
        Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: west/east

        Joe,
        One book that is an interesting read in the study of the west is
        Jefferson Davis and His Generals: The Failure of Confederate Command in the
        West. I know that Dameron has recommended this in the past and I would just
        echo his sentiments. It is not a comparison of the east and west but it
        does explain some problems in the west that did not exist in the east. It
        just might change your opinion on Braxton Bragg also. :)

        Your Obedient Servant,

        Kevin S. Coy

        -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=civilwarwest&m=1