Re: Newt Gingrich/ William Forstchen "Alternate histories"

  • James2044
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2004
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Tom Gilbert <tomgilbert68@y...>
      wrote:
      > I'm a new member, and am just curious, has anyone here read the
      above writers' fictional "what-if" books, Gettysburg and/or Grant
      Comes East.. I have a rather strong background in civil war history,
      and was very skeptical of the value of such books, and wasn't sure
      whether to "waste my time" .. but I read some interesting reviews,
      and so I bought both books .. I have read Gettysburg already, and
      found it fascinating -- didn't take too many "what-if's" to totally
      change the battle and its outcome .. I would never recommend it to
      anyone that was not thoroughly familiar with the Civil War and the
      battle of Gettysburg, because it is plausible enough to seem
      truthful (I was amazed that virtually all the "characters" are real
      and usually act predictably according to what I already know about
      them) - these guys did a great job of research, and clearly did some
      thinking about this one - it could really confuse someone not well-
      grounded .. but for me it was pure fun and fantasy, I loved it ..
      > I am just beginning "Grant Comes East" .. any thoughts?
      > Tom Gilbert

      I'm a big fan of the series and like you started in the "junk"
      camp. They play to ACW buffs but do it well and it makes the books
      even more fun. The Grant/East book just might be better
      than "Gettysburg" and the more you know the more you can enjoy the
      series.

      I agree with your "for me it was pure fun and fantasy, I loved it"
      statement.

      James2044
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2004
        In a message dated 12/4/2004 10:04:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, tomgilbert68@... writes:
        I am just beginning "Grant Comes East" .. any thoughts?
        Tom Gilbert
        Tom,
        East is least and West is Best.  That is one way of saying that Eastern topics are off limits.

        Best Regards
        JEJ

        "I have realized in our country that one class of
        men makes war and leaves another to fight it out."
               - William T. Sherman

      • tomgilbert68
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2004
          Sorry, I had intended it to send my post to a different yahoo CW
          group, and hit the wrong address by mistake .. didn't mean to upset
          the western apple cart .. tom g