Newt Gingrich/ William Forstchen "Alternate histories"

  • Tom Gilbert
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2004
      I'm a new member, and am just curious, has anyone here read the above writers' fictional "what-if" books, Gettysburg and/or Grant Comes East.. I have a rather strong background in civil war history, and was very skeptical of the value of such books, and wasn't sure whether to "waste my time" .. but I read some interesting reviews, and so I bought both books .. I have read Gettysburg already, and found it fascinating -- didn't take too many "what-if's" to totally change the battle and its outcome .. I would never recommend it to anyone that was not thoroughly familiar with the Civil War and the battle of Gettysburg, because it is plausible enough to seem truthful (I was amazed that virtually all the "characters" are real and usually act predictably according to what I already know about them) - these guys did a great job of research, and clearly did some thinking about this one - it could really confuse someone not well-grounded .. but for me it was pure fun and fantasy, I loved it .. I am just beginning "Grant Comes East" .. any thoughts?
      Tom Gilbert

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • James2044
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2004
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Tom Gilbert <tomgilbert68@y...>
        wrote:
        > I'm a new member, and am just curious, has anyone here read the
        above writers' fictional "what-if" books, Gettysburg and/or Grant
        Comes East.. I have a rather strong background in civil war history,
        and was very skeptical of the value of such books, and wasn't sure
        whether to "waste my time" .. but I read some interesting reviews,
        and so I bought both books .. I have read Gettysburg already, and
        found it fascinating -- didn't take too many "what-if's" to totally
        change the battle and its outcome .. I would never recommend it to
        anyone that was not thoroughly familiar with the Civil War and the
        battle of Gettysburg, because it is plausible enough to seem
        truthful (I was amazed that virtually all the "characters" are real
        and usually act predictably according to what I already know about
        them) - these guys did a great job of research, and clearly did some
        thinking about this one - it could really confuse someone not well-
        grounded .. but for me it was pure fun and fantasy, I loved it ..
        > I am just beginning "Grant Comes East" .. any thoughts?
        > Tom Gilbert

        I'm a big fan of the series and like you started in the "junk"
        camp. They play to ACW buffs but do it well and it makes the books
        even more fun. The Grant/East book just might be better
        than "Gettysburg" and the more you know the more you can enjoy the
        series.

        I agree with your "for me it was pure fun and fantasy, I loved it"
        statement.

        James2044
      • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2004
          In a message dated 12/4/2004 10:04:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, tomgilbert68@... writes:
          I am just beginning "Grant Comes East" .. any thoughts?
          Tom Gilbert
          Tom,
          East is least and West is Best.  That is one way of saying that Eastern topics are off limits.

          Best Regards
          JEJ

          "I have realized in our country that one class of
          men makes war and leaves another to fight it out."
                 - William T. Sherman

        • tomgilbert68
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2004
            Sorry, I had intended it to send my post to a different yahoo CW
            group, and hit the wrong address by mistake .. didn't mean to upset
            the western apple cart .. tom g