Re: Vicksburg books

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2004
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William Gower"
      <billgower@c...> wrote:
      > For someone who has never read anything about the Vicksburg
      Campaign before,
      > what books would you recommend?

      Mr. Gower:

      Try:
      Edwin Cole Bearss, "The campaign for Vicksburg" (it is, however,
      three heavy volumes)
      Timothy B. Smith, "Champion Hill: Decisive Battle for Vicksburg"

      I would also recommend a wonderful new atlas of the entire war which
      appears to be newly published: the "Atlas Of The Civil War, Month By
      Month: Major Battles And Troop Movements" by Mark Swanson,
      Jacqueline D. Langley (Illustrator). It gives one a great feel for
      the general flow of the conflict and alerts the reader to many of
      the lesser-known engagements in a certain area and time.

      Joseph
    • hank9174
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2004
        wrote:
        > For someone who has never read anything about the Vicksburg
        Campaign before,
        > what books would you recommend?

        Terrence Winschel has authored, or co-authored, a number of slim
        volumes on the Vicksburg campaign. It's hard to go wrong with any of
        these, though reading more than one is an exercise in redundancy...

        In 'Triumph & Defeat', he presents a series of essays spanning the
        entire campaign.

        'Vicksburg: Fall of the Confederate Gibraltar' is a standalone volume
        of the campaign.

        'Vicksburg Is the Key: the Struggle for the Mississippi River' covers
        the same ground and is co-authored with William Shea...

        Winschel is the chief historian at Vicksburg and also wrote a self-
        guiding battlefield tour.

        HankC
      • William H Keene
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2004
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...> wrote:
          > I would also recommend a wonderful new atlas of the entire war which
          > appears to be newly published: the "Atlas Of The Civil War, Month By
          > Month: Major Battles And Troop Movements" by Mark Swanson,
          > Jacqueline D. Langley (Illustrator). It gives one a great feel for
          > the general flow of the conflict and alerts the reader to many of
          > the lesser-known engagements in a certain area and time.
          >
          > Joseph

          I agree with Joseph [tis the season for fellowship]. Saw this book at a bookstore and I fell
          in love. The book is organized such that each spread has a map on the right hand page
          and text on the left hand page. Each spread covers one month in the war. The area
          shown in the maps is always the same. Lines of different color and weight depict areas of
          control, advances and retreats, mahjor redployments, raids, battles, areas of partisan
          activity, etc. The text on the facing page is broken into headings by geographical locale
          (ie: Arkansas, Virginia/Maryland, Georgia and the Carolinas, etc) with short descriptions
          of what occured during that month. A special section at the end covers the action in
          western Texas/Arizona/New Mexico/California.